Rain Protection - Personal and Camera

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I shoot using Olympus/OMS gear, so rain doesn't really bother me unless it is a heavy downpour. Then I use an small or medium Optech rain sleeve, there is enough room to get my hands on the camera controls. Little more difficult if I need to adjust the focal length or manual focus the the lens.

Right now my raincoat is one from REI. It is supposed to be breathable but I always get a little sweaty wearing it. If I'm going to be mostly stationary, I use my old Helly Hansen raincoat that I used while ocean kayaking. It's not lightweight, but holds up well in driving wind and rain.

Depends on what you mean by rain. If I have my cameras out in true monsoon/downpour conditions I use a Think Tank rain cover with the double sleeves. They require a camera specific eyepiece and are a bit heavy but they camera stays dry. Here in Washington State, it is not so much heavy rain but a drizzle, light rian that lasts all day and happens on a lot of days. The disposable covers could work but I still use the Think Tank covers. I have 3 for different camera/lens combinations. As far as rain gear, I have yet to find the right solution. You can choose to get wet from the inside out or the outside in. The poluurethane coated rain gear is totally waterproof but you sweat with minimal exertion. I have had DWP treated and Gortex type lightweight raingear. More beathable than PU coated but after a few uses, they eventually let some water through.

For my non-weather resistant cameras and lenses I have inexpensive disposable rain covers, they're light enough to always keep in my packs whatever the weather forecast. For me I've found a folding umbrella to be ideal -- keeps the rain off and I get neither hot nor sweaty. If I had planned on deliberately standing in the rain for a half hour while photographing something, it would be a lightweight rain jacket. However, I've spent days working and sleeping in the rain without any rain gear and eventually learned that it's no fun so I try to have a roof over my head when it rains -- tents, blinds, cars or buildings are really good rain gear.

You don't indicate the cameras and lenses that you are using. I like to shoot in inclement weather (rain, snow, ice storms, etc...). I've used D500s, D850s, and D4s and only rarely covered my cameras and lenses. I am currently shooting with a Z9 and Z8 and spent most of Monday shooting black bears in dreary rainy weather. I did not cover my gear. In fact, I find that covering the gear causes more problems, as wet hands get between the cover and the lens and the water has an opportunity to vaporize within a confined space. The latter can cause fogging.
I have used some lens coverings in Costa Rica and Iceland, but in the end removed them and let the camera and lens get wet. I've yet to have a weather related failure or loss of gear. In my opinion, the covers cause me to fumble about and actually increase my chance of flopping a tripod or dropping the gear.

When shooting in inclement weather, I do use a protective or UV filter (if they can be used) and lens shade... that's it.
bruce

Think Tank emergency rain covers are great for gear. They have hydrophobia which are higher end rain covers but I have not had any issues with emergency rain covers. They come in three sizes depending on your lens size.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for a rain cover for my camera that allows me to still shoot with it. Also, any suggestions for person rain gear while hiking?
I carry plastic sheets and zip lock bags.
A rain guard isn't much use if it takes too long to get on.
Most moisture damage comes soon after from mold - mostly in the lens.
I also use several of those silica gel packs that comes with most packaging for a good reason ... 🦘

Like others, I have but seldom use a rain cover for the camera, but I’m not typically out in heavy downpours. I do have the Thinktank emergency rain cover that I keep with me just in case, but I haven’t rated anything I’ve been out in to be an emergency. 😀

For personal rain protection, it depends a lot on what the conditions are. Basically, you are going to get wet, the question is whether it’s from the rain or from sweat. In warm weather, I will forego rain gear and just make sure anything that needs protection is in “drybags” aka Ziploc bags. In cooler weather, then some type of protective shell is necessary. For most conditions, I have come to prefer a breathable softshell jacket and pack a hardshell emergency poncho (for you, not the equipment) or foldable hardshell (I don’t like ponchos when I’m on a bike) for the downpours.

Mike

I have a set of Tourmaster riding gear. The jacket is a very lightweight nylon mesh and has several different liners that you zip in or onto the original jacket and or pants. Very very nice rain gear and you will not sweat or freeze. It also has elbow knee and back pads you can insert or leave out. Very good gear and warm or cool depending on how you set it up. Downside? Price.

What has worked the best for me over the past 50 years has been a large rain poncho. The poncho covers me and also my camera bag and I can use the hood as a rain shield and shoot from inside the poncho. I buy an extra long poncho for this reason and I still use a army surplus poncho I bought in 1971. A poncho also is cooler and I do not have a problem with clothing getting wet from my own sweating.

If I will be walking through wet brush I will add a pair of rain pants over my regular pants and the only trick is to get ones that are quiet when walking. Rain clothing made for hunters tends to work very well for photographers. I love the British game jackets that are unlined and have hoods and large front pockets meant for shotgun shells which can also hold photo gear that is fast to access.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for a rain cover for my camera that allows me to still shoot with it. Also, any suggestions for person rain gear while hiking?
I have the Patagonia Sky Jacket ( https://www.patagonia.com/product/m...0_color=SMDB&cgid=mens-jackets-vests-rainwear) and like it very much. It does a very good job keeping rain out, yet breathes well so I don’t become overheated. It also is very lightweight, so is easy to pack. I don’t do anything special for pants - just wear breathable, synthetic slacks that unzip at the knees, in case I want shorts.

As for camera protection (aside from my waterproof backpack), I use cheap Ruggard rain covers, and simply throw them away when they get a little worn out. I’ve tried more expensive rain covers but quite honestly, prefer the cheap Ruggard covers because they’re inexpensive, very flexible, large enough for almost any telephoto, and easy to use.

Back