Real time highlight alerts

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I’m looking for some clarification please. Am I right in thinking we can only see Blinkys on the LCD screen after we take a photo? Is there anyway to set up the Z9 or Z8 to show real time highlight alerts through the viewfinder before we take the photo? I’m hoping I’m missing a setting somewhere.

There’s a picture profile that you can create or add (there’s a file you can download) that’ll show your overexposed parts of the scene in real time. If I can find the thread talking about it I’ll link it.

Yes, the picture control has been around since before the Z9, the OP made it for his Z7 if I recall. The 1st link is the thread on DPReview, the second link is to the new working link to download the custom picture control, his google drive. After the links I will post the instructions on loading the picture control via the picture control manager in your camera menu. The new picture control will be after all the normally preinstalled picture controls. it's only for Raw files as the black areas if you shoot while showing the blown highlights will not be discarded on LR imported. But the point is not to shoot when you see any of the black clipped highlights anyway

Why not everyone doesn't know this by now and not using it if shooting Raw is beyond me. I will never shoot without it again.

"
Copy the file to NIKON/CUSTOMPC on your memory chip
Put the chip in the camera & turn the camera on
Press the MENU button on the camera
Under the PHOTO SHOOTING MENU, tap on Manage Picture Control
Tap on Load/Save
Tap on Copy to Camera
From there, it should prompt you to select the picture control, which should be called Flat-Clip, and the custom picture control slot to put it in (which will be C1, if you've never done this before).

To activate it, under the PHOTO SHOOTING MENU, tap on Set Picture Control
Scroll to "C1 Flat-Clip" and select OK"

Back