Rear Element cleaning (Telephoto Lens)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi,

Hope you're all doing well.

I wanted to ask how you go about cleaning the rear element on your telephoto lenses. It's a lot easier with normal lenses as the element sits flush to the back so much easier access.
The telephoto lenses are a bit trickier to access, given their submerged nature due to the filter folder design, making it harder to properly clean especially around the edges.

Do you have a particular approach (wet/dry) ?, any order or tools you use? , or do you even clean it (just leave it ) I've tried before just using a microfiber cloth but found even lint free ones leave small amounts of particular that are difficult to remove.

Any feedback much appreciated.

Hi,

Hope you're all doing well.

I wanted to ask how you go about cleaning the rear element on your telephoto lenses. It's a lot easier with normal lenses as the element sits flush to the back so much easier access.
The telephoto lenses are a bit trickier to access, given their submerged nature due to the filter folder design, making it harder to properly clean especially around the edges.

Do you have a particular approach (wet/dry) ?, any order or tools you use? , or do you even clean it (just leave it ) I've tried before just using a microfiber cloth but found even lint free ones leave small amounts of particular that are difficult to remove.

Any feedback much appreciated.
All I do especially if I've changed lenses in the field is when at home I use the blower to remove any dust.

It rarely happens that I need to clean the rear element on my telephoto lenses. If it does, I treat it the same as cleaning a front element:
  • Hold the lens "upside down" and use a rocket blower to blow out any dust.
  • If that's not enough, use a (wet) lens wipe to gently clean it off. You need to fold it a little bit to reach down there, but works perfectly.

Back