Recommendations for a polar bear photo trip

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Viathelens

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I'd like to photograph polar bears, hopefully this year. I'm looking at one on Churchill Wild, anyone familiar with them? I don't want a trip where everyone piles into a tundra vehicle and travels in it together all day, looking for something more on-ground or closer up. Any recommendations?

I'd like to photograph polar bears, hopefully this year. I'm looking at one on Churchill Wild, anyone familiar with them? I don't want a trip where everyone piles into a tundra vehicle and travels in it together all day, looking for something more on-ground or closer up. Any recommendations?
I have been several times, including the "traditional" tundra buggy experience but have not gone with Churchill Wild to one of their lodges. I have heard good things about them and actually tried to book Seal Lodge one time but couldn't since it was fully booked. To me, the ultimate polar bear trip is the Watchee Lodge which is in March to see the polar bear cubs come out of their dens. I was fortunate to do this one time and got some of my most memorable photos on that trip. It is a bit "hard" trip to do, the cabin has no running water, bunk beds, freezing cold (one is outside photographing the bears), etc but seeing a polar bear cub emerge from the den is very special. However, it is very hard to book.
A video describing it:
Some of my pics from that trip:

Back