Red Avadavat preening in the wind

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Lovely footage, Krish.
Thank you Rudy !!

Beautiful bird, nice capture. Do you shoot in vertical, or do you crop it to vertical?
Thanks Dave. Normally, I prefer to shoot video with my camera on a tripod. When I am able to do that it is always almost always in vertical mode.
Sometimes like in this video, the ground did not permit the use of a tripod. I shot this handheld. If you see the complete footage it is actually quite shaky. While shooting handheld I try holding my breath for long enough to get about a minute or two of relatively steady video. I also shoot long takes, in case I get some useable footage.
While post processing I first cut out the very shaky parts, stabilize the video (In DaVinchi Resolve, the free version) and then crop to a vertical aspect ratio.
DVR stabilizes by cropping so I make sure there is enough space in the frame all around while shooting in landscape mode
When I first started, I did try shooting vertical video handheld and found it very much more difficult to hold it steady. Thus the work-around

Krish,
That has also been my experience with hand held long lens video also. Very shaky! Resolve does a fine job helping that. Do you prefer vertical because your audience watches on phone, for the most part? Or just personal preference.
Dave

Krish,
That has also been my experience with hand held long lens video also. Very shaky! Resolve does a fine job helping that. Do you prefer vertical because your audience watches on phone, for the most part? Or just personal preference.
Dave

Hi Dave, I usually post on Instagram & YouTube shorts, both of which favor the vertical format. Thus the choice of format, for most part.

Back