Red-breasted merganser

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I feel like there is something off with this photo. What do You think about this?

As for the subject:
Red-breasted merganser (Mergus serrator), Hel Peninsula, southern coast of the Baltic Sea. Probably part of group preparing to migrate back to their breeding grounds in Scandinavia.

szlachar2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

here is not cropped version for comparison

szlachar full-.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

For me there’s a couple things.

1. The crop. It just doesn’t feel right to me. Too much room on the top of the frame.

2. The bird’s pose isn’t the best, I’d like more eye contact.

3. If possible, I would’ve tried to get lower down to the water to be eye level.

For me there’s a couple things.

1. The crop. It just doesn’t feel right to me. Too much room on the top of the frame.

2. The bird’s pose isn’t the best, I’d like more eye contact.

3. If possible, I would’ve tried to get lower down to the water to be eye level.

Thank You.

1. I will experiment with tighter crops.
2. Yep Your right, it was probably best what I got and I got fooled by that. When I look now I feel like he has blank stare.
3. And this confirms, what I'm fearing - buying lens without tripod collar was kind of mistake, especially for birds on water, as I'm not able to go low enough and keep things stable and safe, if bank is a bit higher.

I have quite a few shots similar to this in the local nature reserve (Hampshire, UK). To me, one problem is the exposure/lighting with water providing a lot of reflections. Could anyone more knowledgeable comment here on how this could be improved? Slower shutter, exposure comp +1? I hope I am making sense.

Back