Red-headed Woodpecker, North Carolina

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

McDowell Prairie Jan2023 (1).jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
I shot this one at a place called McDowell Prairie near Charlotte.
Sony A9, FE 200-600mm G
600mm, 1/250 sec, f/8, ISO 100

Definitely agree with the comments on the crop (too far left). Also does appear a bit soft around the eye/head. I do find the palette of colors very pleasing.

View attachment 55953I shot this one at a place called McDowell Prairie near Charlotte.
Sony A9, FE 200-600mm G
600mm, 1/250 sec, f/8, ISO 100
I love the redheaded woodpeckers. In this image, the blue and green colors of the background work well. Overall the image is successful, so all my comments are with reference to small details.

It does look a little soft to me. Some of that may be resizing and posting for the web. Was there much cropping?

There also appears to be a soft shadow on the face of the woodpeck and running across half of the eye. It looks like it was causes by a small amount of leaves or pine needles. I'd probably try to lighten the shadow area about .7 stops or so.

I recall this lens is pretty sharp. I'd try to shoot at a faster aperture if that's possible. It will provide a little smoother background and support the faster shutter speed.

You might try reducing shadows and contrast in the background - especially the darker splotches on the right. Or crop slightly tighter so the dark areas form a vignette.

If possible, I'd like the head looking slightly toward the camera. It's looking vertically up the tree, and with the camera angle gives the impression of facing slightly away.

I love the redheaded woodpeckers. In this image, the blue and green colors of the background work well. Overall the image is successful, so all my comments are with reference to small details.

It does look a little soft to me. Some of that may be resizing and posting for the web. Was there much cropping?

There also appears to be a soft shadow on the face of the woodpeck and running across half of the eye. It looks like it was causes by a small amount of leaves or pine needles. I'd probably try to lighten the shadow area about .7 stops or so.

I recall this lens is pretty sharp. I'd try to shoot at a faster aperture if that's possible. It will provide a little smoother background and support the faster shutter speed.

You might try reducing shadows and contrast in the background - especially the darker splotches on the right. Or crop slightly tighter so the dark areas form a vignette.

If possible, I'd like the head looking slightly toward the camera. It's looking vertically up the tree, and with the camera angle gives the impression of facing slightly away.
Not much cropping, maybe 30%. It was resized for the web so a lower rez image.
Nothing was in the way on the face, but the sun was coming over my right shoulder so creating some shadow (around 10:00 am).
Fastest is f6.3 @ 600mm and I was stopped down at f8...not sure if less than a full stop would make a diff on the background.
I have another shot of him looking slightly at the camera and I see what you mean. Will try and post on this thread.
Thnx for your feedback Eric!

1677963539254.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Not much cropping, maybe 30%. It was resized for the web so a lower rez image.
Nothing was in the way on the face, but the sun was coming over my right shoulder so creating some shadow (around 10:00 am).
Fastest is f6.3 @ 600mm and I was stopped down at f8...not sure if less than a full stop would make a diff on the background.
I have another shot of him looking slightly at the camera and I see what you mean. Will try and post on this thread.
Thnx for your feedback Eric!

View attachment 56168
I like this one a lot better. The difference in the head angle looking slightly toward the camera is a key improvement. The first one might be a discard due to head angle, but this second one is quite good.

This last one is much better to me, I miss seeing these Red-head woodpeckers. We use to have several around our local lake but haven't seen or heard any in over three years.

Back