Red-headed Woodpecker

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

12.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

A few suggestions. Its a bit over exposed and you lost some detail in the whites. I’d darken the entire image, especially the background. I’d crop it and also darken the perch and add some saturation to the reds.

I get one of these in my backyard but it is very skittish. If I even move inside the house it flies. I have not been able to get a good shot of it yet. So, I commend you on being able to get the shot. The above comments are valid from my experience. You've got good raw material here that can be made even better.

Nice photo my suggestion to improve shot would be to crop to 5x4 with bird off centre, reduce exposure, brush in a touch of unsharp mask to bring out feather detail and finish of with vignette to draw eye to bird. All can be done in Lightroom but fav go to is On1 Raw, as I use Dynamic contrast filter to add a touch of pop and sharpness, have a look.

Agree with whites down, BG darker, a bit of punch overall on subject and a smaller crop. That said, wish this was mine, a beaut bird!

Back