If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

JAS

Supporting Member
Marketplace
As I continue to work on my Underwater Portfolio, trimming it down and selecting shots for a book/portfolio page, here are shots of various Red Sea eels. It was always fun to find the eels. They would try to intimidate those who came to close, but mostly they would open their mouth to look intimidating. Some were just small and cute. See note with each photo.

Snowflake eel, small hiding in a coral head.
Eels_01.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Spotted Snake Eel swimming in the open
Eels_02.jpg

Snowflake Moray in the open
Eels_03.jpg

Yellowmargin Moray
Eels_04.jpg

Greater Moray, small
Eels_05.jpg

Greater Moray, being "cleaned up" by a cleaner shrimp
Eels_06.jpg

Large Greater Moray hiding between tumbled boulders.
Eels_07.jpg

Yellowmargin Moray free swimming.
Eels_08.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you. A key item on the colors is that you may not see them until you shone a light on the subject. With bright sky overhead colors are ok to at 5-8m depth. Other times or when deeper you begin to "lose" the color due to the water absorption. I used a pair of dive lights much of the time to light the subjects which really beings up the color.

Very nice set, you must have some nice lights to light them up so well.
I used a pair of Sola 600 lumen dive lights on flexible arms do I could move them to best light the subject. I will also add that, on some days, the sund was so bright and the sky so clear that lighting was quite good down to 6-8m/20-25ft and the light helped break the shadows and see into the corners. Vis in the Red Sea was good to great on most days, except after a storm.