If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

My first time trying out BIF. Shot with a Nikon D750 & 200-500mm f5.4. While she's not fully in focus, I'm actually enjoying the bit of blur on her wings as I managed to snag her just as she was leaving her perch. I knew BIF shots were hard, but wow I was not expecting of the 100 shots I took to only have 1 even slightly usable image, I'm definitely going to be practicing this a lot this winter.
untitled-118-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Good demonstration of where it gets its name. Welcome to the challenges of BIF photography. In this shot it looks like focus was on the tree branches. That sort of BG poses the biggest challenge for AF on any camera. If you are using any of the "dynamic area" modes, auto area, or 3d in a situation like that it's a crap shoot what focus is going to grab. With busy BG single point of group AF are the only ones that are reliable. I never owned a 750 so not sure which choices you have there.

Good demonstration of where it gets its name. Welcome to the challenges of BIF photography. In this shot it looks like focus was on the tree branches. That sort of BG poses the biggest challenge for AF on any camera. If you are using any of the "dynamic area" modes, auto area, or 3d in a situation like that it's a crap shoot what focus is going to grab. With busy BG single point of group AF are the only ones that are reliable. I never owned a 750 so not sure which choices you have there.
Thanks! I was sticking with single point AF for that very reason. It definitely was a challenge to keep the focus on her, even when she wasn't moving.

Thank you all for the comments and feedback!!! She was hunting all morning, giving me quite a few chances to try catching her in flight. Here's the shot shortly before she took off. Definitely one of my best shots so far as I'm still learning the basics.
untitled-103-Edit-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.