Red squirrel

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi everyone at least I made my first photo that I find acceptable with my new D500. The light suddenly went great, so I just took camera and went just outside my house and spotted this red squirell searching for nesting material.

I know that background is not great and colors are all the same, but I would love to see if someone else also thinks this photo is acceptable.

red squirrel (Sciurus vulgaris), rural area in Pruszkow county, Poland

Wiewiorkaglowna.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Great to capture the behavior. Love the nesting material in it's mouth! As you said the background is less than ideal. If possible, cropping in much tighter might help focus the viewer's attention.

It's a good start. However, I am sure you will get better shots. Just stay in that area and the squirrel will give you more opportunities for nice pictures. They have preferred routes, you can figure them out.
They are very good models.

As a record of a behavior, I think it can be called acceptable. I would crop out the out-of-focus branches on the right. But technically, the exposure is fine, the focus looks adequate to show your experience. I suspect it is not an image you are totally happy with and that's good too. I wouldn't crop it too tight as some of what this image conveys is the complexity of the squirrel's environment.

Thank You for all Your input.

In fact I decided to put it on Instagram (as my wife said: put everything that You think is OK so in future it will be easier to see progress).
And I added few more photos from that day as little behaviour photojurnal... And now I think, maybe I didn't choose best photo. What do You think?

Back