If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

A banded red-tailed hawk was working the community gardens for voles late in the day. The setting sun was lighting up trees in the distance. I really needed to leave but couldn't pry myself away until it flew. I'm glad I hung around. I had to walk past it again to leave the gardens and it stared intently as me. That stare at close range is more than a little unnerving.

red-tailed hawk.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
red-tailed hawk in flight.jpg
red-tailed hawk in flight-2.jpg

Nice images of a pretty bird. I notice that it has been banded, which is interesting.
I've gotten a bit obsessive about banded birds, trying to get enough pictures to be able to report the bird to the USGS (http://reportband.gov/). I've been successful four times so far. For the hawk, I only got 7 of the 9 numbers (gah!). I'm hoping the other person I was with is able to fill in the blanks for me.

I've gotten a bit obsessive about banded birds, trying to get enough pictures to be able to report the bird to the USGS (http://reportband.gov/). I've been successful four times so far. For the hawk, I only got 7 of the 9 numbers (gah!). I'm hoping the other person I was with is able to fill in the blanks for me.
Following up on this. My fellow photographer did not get the needed numbers, so I went back yesterday to try again. Unfortunately (or not, depending on your perspective), the bird I saw yesterday turned out to be a different hawk, one that I've seen and reported twice before.

Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering if the bird was too close to the right edge in that picture. It's not cropped, so there isn't any room to expand it.
Very interesting point you make. I should say that the tightness in front of the bird did not call my attention to all. Let's see if I can express this well: "if you have a reason to break a general rule to make a photographic point , then it's fine''. In other words the wingspread calls so much attention that you don't notice the smaller space in front of the head.

A banded red-tailed hawk was working the community gardens for voles late in the day. The setting sun was lighting up trees in the distance. I really needed to leave but couldn't pry myself away until it flew. I'm glad I hung around. I had to walk past it again to leave the gardens and it stared intently as me. That stare at close range is more than a little unnerving.

View attachment 47141View attachment 47142View attachment 47143
Awesome shots Linda. 👍👍👍I’m sill a work in progress when it comes to takeoff.

Beautiful series of very sharp photos, Linda! I recommend sending the incomplete info with photo to the USGS. The narrow banding on the tail indicates a juvenile bird which might help them track it back to the bander. It's worth a shot and could be helpful information.

Beautiful series of very sharp photos, Linda! I recommend sending the incomplete info with photo to the USGS. The narrow banding on the tail indicates a juvenile bird which might help them track it back to the bander. It's worth a shot and could be helpful information.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give that a try.