Red-tailed Hawk with breakfast

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ssheipel

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Was going to do another search for Snowy Owls yesterday but got too lazy so walked (ah the joy of the 500 pf) to a ravine park in this city with the empty hope that I'd finally see one of the hawks I often see circling or perched high in the trees. Wasn't 150 metres onto the site when I looked up and here was this Red-tailed Hawk tearing meat (assuming the guts) out of this former Woodland Jumping Mouse (so I assumed given the tail and feet). Assume he's just perched as the eating of bits didn't last long before he swallowed it whole.
Hawk with mouse sized.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Hawk flying sized.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Was going to do another search for Snowy Owls yesterday but got too lazy so walked (ah the joy of the 500 pf) to a ravine park in this city with the empty hope that I'd finally see one of the hawks I often see circling or perched high in the trees. Wasn't 150 metres onto the site when I looked up and here was this Red-tailed Hawk tearing meat (assuming the guts) out of this former Woodland Jumping Mouse (so I assumed given the tail and feet). Assume he's just perched as the eating of bits didn't last long before he swallowed it whole.View attachment 51190View attachment 51191
Nice catch Steven. Agree, I love smooth light colored trees aspen birch etc in winter.

Was going to do another search for Snowy Owls yesterday but got too lazy so walked (ah the joy of the 500 pf) to a ravine park in this city with the empty hope that I'd finally see one of the hawks I often see circling or perched high in the trees. Wasn't 150 metres onto the site when I looked up and here was this Red-tailed Hawk tearing meat (assuming the guts) out of this former Woodland Jumping Mouse (so I assumed given the tail and feet). Assume he's just perched as the eating of bits didn't last long before he swallowed it whole.View attachment 51190View attachment 51191
Awesome photos Steven. It’s nice when a plan comes together.

Back