Red wing blackbird (high key)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Soopahmahn

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Let me know what you guys think.

Is the bird overexposed?

31F0A69B-289E-437A-91D9-A6263251B359.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Blacks adjusted:
3A3B307A-4BF5-43C0-9B9E-1209B6C312B0.jpeg

Last edited:
I shoot RW Blackbirds every spring. There's lots of them around here. I wouldn't say it's over exposed but what I would say is that the image would be more in line with what I PERSONALLY like if it was just a little less exposed. The image as you present it is very good in the respect of showing the subtle brown colors in really good detail but me? Well, I'd be willing to give up just a tiny bit of the detail for a little more black in the blackbird. I'm claiming "artistic license" here.

I appreciate all the input! I updated the post with a 2nd version with a slight black adjustment, reduced the black levels a bit but also changed the shape of the tone curve. It is hard to balance the effects on such an image!

I think this made the bird a little more “black” which is how they always appear to my eye, while also still showing plenty of crisp detail.

One other question - there’s a slightly dark patch to the right of the bird, a remnant of background that didn’t get completely wiped out with my exposure adjustment. Does it need to be annihilated or does it just add some texture to the image?

Any further thoughts? I’m going to print this soon and see how it looks.
Thanks!

If the first image were mine, I would set the black point to "enrich" the blacks - but not block up a large section of black. In the second image, the blacks looked blocked up under his eye, mouth, wing and on his neck. I could clean up the background area. Then I would selectively sharpen the head and eye a bit more.....especially if going to print.

If the first image were mine, I would set the black point to "enrich" the blacks - but not block up a large section of black. In the second image, the blacks looked blocked up under his eye, mouth, wing and on his neck. I could clean up the background area. Then I would selectively sharpen the head and eye a bit more.....especially if going to print.
Heard. I went back and undid a few moves I had made which were actually dividing the bird up. There was a mid tone push and a black pull that I removed.

I increased exposure, did a smoother black point shift, a little exposure boost on the throat (wasn’t much to work with), and the suggested selective sharpening mask. I do think this looks smoother, richer, and pops just a little better.

Do you think I achieved a better result here? Lots of lessons!

853255A9-2A59-4EEE-90F9-FB77C05D0AFB.jpeg

Heard. I went back and undid a few moves I had made which were actually dividing the bird up. There was a mid tone push and a black pull that I removed.

I increased exposure, did a smoother black point shift, a little exposure boost on the throat (wasn’t much to work with), and the suggested selective sharpening mask. I do think this looks smoother, richer, and pops just a little better.

Do you think I achieved a better result here? Lots of lessons!

View attachment 56341
To my eyes...and at this smaller size ...it does look better. The important thing is whether or not YOU are happy with the results. ;)

For sure! This is one of those situations where I was happy with the idea, but appreciate the professional and/or experienced take that so many members here offer. I didn't even intend this to turn into a post-processing discussion... but I think it's my biggest area of insecurity in my work.

Thanks again all. :)

Back