Red-Winged Blackbird (female)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Matthew Jones

Supporting Member
Marketplace
504R.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Nikon D4 , 400mm f5.6d ed vr, Exp + 0.7 Freehand ,
no edits just resized to fit.
thanks for having a look and your thoughts. critique appreciated

Last edited:
I like the overall image - the OoF background adds just enough texture to be interesting, but not distracting at all. Personally I would have cropped some from the left of the frame since the bird was looking to the right. Maybe a vertical crop? Maybe not. Another possibility might have been to clone out the horizontal reed above the bird - with everything else in the background being vertical, that one reed seems distracting to me and draws my eye. Then again, it might not be worth it. If it were mine I'd play around with it and decide after seeing both options.

Nice content with the pose of the bird and the classic sideways perch on cattail. Nicely OOF BG. A slight lean to left or right at time of capture would have avoided the bright OOF cattail aligning perfectly behind the bird. Though in that situation it would be hard to avoid something directly behind the bird. As mentioned above it is typically preferable for the bird to face into the frame. Overall nicely done.

I appreciate the feedback , I honestly didn't realize into the frame was more sought after , I took around 30 shots of this scene looking for keepers here's a straight on-look with
a slight crop

515c.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Back