Red-winged Blackbird

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

K9Kirk

Supporting Member
Marketplace
A red-winged blackbird in the morning light. The light was a bit dim and the bird a bit far away so not the best IQ.

274-studio.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Nice job on the rwbb. They are a tough shoot because of limited to no contrast except for the epaulettes. I stopped shooting them unless they are close and in a nice morning sun.
Thank you. Yes they are, and in my experience they're also very skittish so you have to get the shot quick. Not much time for adjustments.

They take over the great meadow NWP in concord Mass all spring and early summer. And, they are very cooperative. The females are actually mor exciting to shoot if you can find them.
Happy shooting

This could use a little more punch IMO, unless it was foggy and you were going for a soft feeling.
Well, it wasn't foggy but I did purposely keep the contrast low to give it that soft, somewhat ethereal appearance. It's a style I prefer if a pic allows for it. Thanks for commenting.

Nice job on the rwbb. They are a tough shoot because of limited to no contrast except for the epaulettes. I stopped shooting them unless they are close and in a nice morning sun.
I'm the same as far as male RWBBs. Unless the light is just right and the full-shoulder patch is presented, I won't bother. I already have gigabytes of RWBB which are very common where I am.

Last edited:
They take over the great meadow NWP in concord Mass all spring and early summer. And, they are very cooperative. The females are actually mor exciting to shoot if you can find them.
Happy shooting
The last sentence is consistent with my experience.😊

Lovely BG and perch. Nice position on the bird and great catching it in full cry. Odd that not more of the signature red shoulder patch is showing.
Thank you, Dan. Agreed on the red patch. It's often breezy down here and it looks like a blast of wind might've blown some feathers up to block the view of them.

Thanks, that's a first. People usually prefer the bg to be totally smooth. I won't beat myself as much the next time there's any form in the bg. ;)
I may not even know enough to be dangerous, but I've always been a contrarian, and maybe it's a little like the rule of thirds.😊

Back