Reliability of Quick Disconnect for Larger Lenses

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RecalcitrantRon

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Title pretty much says it all. How reliable are the quick disconnects on a strap for larger lenses like the Z180-600 and 800PF? I have always use the screw in, which I know is not foolproof if you don't check them.

A number of years ago, I had a quick release break on a pack strap, and I vowed to never allow plastic quick disconnects that are larger on heavy lenses, be primary support. I have settled with arca quick connects or methods with screws, or metal clips, which also, as you stated requires being screw tighten vigilant.

There have been several previous discussions about this topic, with views on both sides of the fence.

I trust the integrity of the QD technology and use a BR Sport Strap with QD connector to carry my 600 TC. I make sure to inspect the connector before each use and keep it clean, and do a pull-test on it each time I connect it to the lens foot.

There are pros and cons, strengths and weaknesses to all the various types of connectors, whether they are screw-in, carabiner style, QD, or even straps with arca clamps attached. They all have their failure scenarios. Additional security can be gained by adding a secondary attachment strap, or safety tether (if it's done independently from the primary connector strap).

Last edited:
Two factors in my mind. The QD itself is made so it's hard to accidentally push it. The models vary. This Kirk one seems safest to me. I don't think it's the part that actually breaks yet I am guessing a few have over the years.
Second is why not have a safety strap and not worry?

for the most part they are OK, just be careful they are fully inserted and click into place and that nothing pushes the center button. A buddy had a nice rifle hit the ground because the QD came loose. He says it was his fault because he probably was in a hurry and didn't get it clicked all the way in or maybe something on his pack was pressing against the sling but bottom line, it hit the ground. Luckily it was out in a field and landed on the grass with no damage (and it was not loaded at the time as he was walking to his hunting stand). Of course, a rifle is a lot more durable than the lenses on our cameras.

I think if you are careful with them and intentional in how you snap them in and carry things they would be fine but when they let go, they let go in a big way unlike the ones that screw in and you can see if the screw is backing out.

I always have a safety tether attached to the strap and to the camera (not in a way that puts extra pressure on the lens/camera mount although the risk is probably a bit overblown).

Jeff

Last edited:
Two factors in my mind. The QD itself is made so it's hard to accidentally push it. The models vary. This Kirk one seems safest to me. I don't think it's the part that actually breaks yet I am guessing a few have over the years.
Second is why not have a safety strap and not worry?
Yes, that's a good QD connector. I've put one of those Kirk swivel-D QD connectors on my PD slide strap, so that I have a backup/secondary QD strap option to my primary BlackRapid Sport strap.

for the most part they are OK, just be careful they are fully inserted and click into place and that nothing pushes the center button. A buddy had a nice rifle hit the ground because the QD came loose. He says it was his fault because he probably was in a hurry and didn't get it clicked all the way in or maybe something on his pack was pressing against the sling but bottom line, it hit the ground. Luckily it was out in a field and landed on the grass with no damage (and it was not loaded at the time as he was walking to his hunting stand). Of course, a rifle is a lot more durable than the lenses on our cameras.

I think if you are careful with them and intentional in how you snap them in and carry things they would be fine but when they let go, they let go in a big way unlike the ones that screw in and you can see if the screw is backing out.

I always have a safety tether attached to the strap and to the camera (not in a way that puts extra pressure on the lens/camera mount although the risk is probably a bit overblown).

Jeff
For these reasons I only buy quality QD connectors.. companies like Magpul and Bravo Company make superb QD connector's used by military... See link: https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-quick-detach-sling-swivel-1-d-ring/ they are top notch and if combined with a quality foot like RRS, Kirk, Hejnar than you should have little to worry about. Add in a small safety tether if your still concerned. Good luck 👍

For these reasons I only buy quality QD connectors.. companies like Magpul and Bravo Company make superb QD connector's used by military... See link: https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-quick-detach-sling-swivel-1-d-ring/ they are top notch and if combined with a quality foot like RRS, Kirk, Hejnar than you should have little to worry about. Add in a small safety tether if your still concerned. Good luck 👍
I'm pretty sure his was Magpul he uses a lot of their stuff. It could have been another brand but this is one of those fellows whose motto is "cost is no object." It was a couple years ago. According to him, it most likely wasn't a failure in the connector but more a failure somewhere between the hands and the swivel (aka "brain fart"). Like you said, if the person gets good stuff and uses it correctly, there should be no problems.

I agree with you, regardless of what you're doing, buy quality stuff. The most expensive tools are the cheap ones because you have to replace them and usually end up buying the better one the person should have purchased in the first place (my dad was a mechanic and pounded that into my head all my life.).

I always have the safety tether attached. The thought of $6,000+ worth of camera gear hitting the ground would make for a very bad day of photography for sure

Jeff

Doesn't attaching a secondary tether (which I do on my gimbal) kind of defeat the purpose of QD? Seems to me the advantage of QD is the "quick" part.
I was looking into the Magpul straps and QD's. I know there is another thread about them.

I switched everything over to Magpul straps and QDs about two years ago. I carry a Z9 with either a 180-400 f/4, a 600pf, or an 800 pf this way with no issues. QD connects to the lens foot (either RRS or Kirk depending on the lens) and strap goes over my head and carries diagonally across my body. I use the same straps with a couple of my rifles, switching as needed.

If you want added safety, RRS sells a QD connector that is recessed so you can not bump it or hit it accidentally. I have a couple of older Black Rapid straps that I installed these on in place of the screw in connector from BR. Works really well.

RRS swivel on B&H site

I can obviously only speak from my experience but I have been using QD strap for at least 5 years and have yet to have it fail on me. I do use a safety strap from Op/tech just in case. I purchased my strap directly from Magpul. Zero regrets. Best, easiest, comfortable, and in my eyes most secure way of carrying my gear that I have used.

I use a black rapid strap with a Magpul QD Connector on a RRS plate with QD socket on the bottom of my Z9 and have a safety strap with a Magpul QD on my 600pf or 100-400. Quick and easy to take off and switch lenses. I figure if I am going to buy a 5 G camera then I will get the best quality accessories. No need to take chances.

Back