Remote control for Z8 and Z9

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

hi Elsa
i have used the older cable version of this

with cable

wireless

Make sure you choose the right camera and cable.

hi Elsa
i have used the older cable version of this

with cable

wireless

Make sure you choose the right camera and cable.
Thank you !

Hi Elsa,
I use a simple wired remote - Phottix N8 for Nikon .
Purchased in 2020 from Kameraz in JHB for 250 rand, and have used on a D500,D850 and my new Z8 .
Regards
Gavin

Thank you !
i saw on the english side you have to buy the correct cable separately.
You can't select it with the remote shutter release like on the German site
Sorry i don't check the english page first

Hi Elsa,
Me again,
Have just checked ,Orms in CT have them for R240,
Regards,
Gavin
Hi Gavin - I see the Phottix N8 is not in stock - Are you 100% sure it's the N8 that fits the z8?

Orms has a Hahnel Captur Timer kit or cabled release as well.

i saw on the english side you have to buy the correct cable separately.
You can't select it with the remote shutter release like on the German site
Sorry i don't check the english page first

Thank you Mark - I see we dont get it here - but if I dont get right - I might get that one via a friend.

Hi Gavin - I see the Phottix N8 is not in stock - Are you 100% sure it's the N8 that fits the z8?

Orms has a Hahnel Captur Timer kit or cabled release as well.

Thank you Mark - I see we dont get it here - but if I dont get right - I might get that one via a friend.
Hi Elsa,
Have just checked my purchase receipt - wired remote N8 for Nikon. This one plugs in to the ten pin remote terminal [see page 36 item 8 of the z8 manual].
Regards,
Gavin

hi Elsa
Checkout Camranger https://camranger.com/camranger-mini/

I also have the Hahnel for long exposures and more - this combination

The Hahnel cables are brand specific

Last edited:
Couple years past I bought a Vello RCW-3-N and it is fantastic on the DSLR's I owned. I have now used it on the Z9 and is spot on there too.. Not used it on the Z8 but expectations are it will be fine. This unit had all the bells and whistles: count down, 200 yards distance, 99 channels, timer and more this and that. Very pleased with it.

Couple years past I bought a Vello RCW-3-N and it is fantastic on the DSLR's I owned. I have now used it on the Z9 and is spot on there too.. Not used it on the Z8 but expectations are it will be fine. This unit had all the bells and whistles: count down, 200 yards distance, 99 channels, timer and more this and that. Very pleased with it.
I see it was discontinued - but had a very good rating!
Hi Elsa,
Have just checked my purchase receipt - wired remote N8 for Nikon. This one plugs in to the ten pin remote terminal [see page 36 item 8 of the z8 manual].
Regards,
Gavin
Perfect - I appreciate it!

Hi Elsa. I use the Nikon MC-30A cable release on my Z8/9.
Thank you!

hi Elsa
Checkout Camranger https://camranger.com/camranger-mini/

I also have the Hahnel for long exposures and more - this combination

The Hahnel cables are brand specific
Thank you - the CAMranger is too expensive I think - but rather interesting !
Orms is checking for me for stock of the Photix and Hahnel - I must decide if I think the captur kit is worth the money or if I can get by with the plain old wired remote by Phottix

NOT snapbridge -

What remote do you use - for long exposure photography?
I am looking for an external remote - if you have any recommendations please?
I just use an exposure delay when I want a long exposure…I don’t do it enough to warrant the expense of a dedicated remote. IRS not the solution for everyone but it works for me.

I just use an exposure delay when I want a long exposure…I don’t do it enough to warrant the expense of a dedicated remote. IRS not the solution for everyone but it works for me.
I used to do just that, and I agree on the cost. I now want to do very long exposures - so my situation / needs changed. I decided to go for a very basic set up, and rather spend on traveling :D

I wish I could recommend what I use, but unfortunately the company went out of business!

It's an app called TriggerTrap, you load it on your phone and get the requisite cable that plugs into the headphone jack. They made one for the Nikon 10-pin, as well as Canon/Sony/etc. cables. I saved an older smartphone (my S22 Ultra doesn't have a headphone jack). I found the cable on that big online auction site.

It has more than just a simple release, as shown in the screenshots. It's what I use for astrophotography, the last screenshot shows the 4 minutes I have set, but that the app can run for hours.

Screenshot_20231019_080157_Triggertrap.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Screenshot_20231019_080230_Triggertrap.jpg

Screenshot_20231019_091005_Triggertrap.jpg

I wish I could recommend what I use, but unfortunately the company went out of business!

It's an app called TriggerTrap, you load it on your phone and get the requisite cable that plugs into the headphone jack. They made one for the Nikon 10-pin, as well as Canon/Sony/etc. cables. I saved an older smartphone (my S22 Ultra doesn't have a headphone jack). I found the cable on that big online auction site.

It has more than just a simple release, as shown in the screenshots. It's what I use for astrophotography, the last screenshot shows the 4 minutes I have set, but that the app can run for hours.

View attachment 72209

View attachment 72210

View attachment 72211
It also works as a wireless remote with an Android phone. I have it on my old Samsung phone but have not tried it on the Z8.

Sorry, not to hijack this thread, but @apakett could you tell me how? Would be nice to carry just one device, my regular cellphone, instead of a second one just for TriggerTrap.
I had the wrong program when I made that comment. Helicon Remote is the App that works with a wireless connection. It is available for both Android and IOS and supports the Nikon Z8 and Z9. I have not used the program in a number of years, but will be trying it.

Back