If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

We are starting to get some of our "winter birds" coming in, so in the near future we will have some variety to watch, but these two birds are year round residents in my area. I enjoy photographing them as they are colorful, cooperative, and are accustomed to people (allowing you to get close). Both of these shots were taken in late spring of this year. I am hopelessly behind on my processing.
Both were taken with a Canon R7, 100-500 mm lens and handheld. The first is a Spotted Towhee and the second is a California Towhee. In both birds minimal processing, slightly bringing up the birds and slightly bringing down the BG.
Spotted Towhee Lake Calavera.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

California Towhee Lake Calavera 3.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Really nice, I love the Spotted Towhee. I've typically only seen them scurrying around in the underbrush, great job getting a clean shot singing its heart out!

Really nice, I love the Spotted Towhee. I've typically only seen them scurrying around in the underbrush, great job getting a clean shot singing its heart out!
I agree with you. Usually difficult to get clean shots of them, but in our area early spring is the mating/nesting season and often they will have a circuit that they fly around, typically choosing the highest branch or twig to sit on and sing. I watched this one for a while and figured out his route and set up before he got there. Did not take long and he returned to this same branch and the shot was taken.