Return camera body or not? Shutter count.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've heard of shutters lasting two times their expected life or even more. I suppose that I, personally, wouldn't care too much about the high shutter count. That said, I think that it would be reasonable to contact the seller and let them know this bothers you. Maybe you can negotiate something that is mutually beneficial. As others have said, this all depends on the price you paid in the first place, of course.

Some used gear sellers are now including shutter counts in their description. Since this is something that is very easy to check, I am hopeful that all sellers take up the practice. I picked up a used D500 that had a couple of minor cosmetic flaws, but only 3,000 clicks, for a very reasonable price recently. I might not have purchased it if I hadn't seen how low the shutter count was. So, maybe I do care about the shutter count after all. :)

Just to update: I did return the D500 to the online dealer I have been using for years. It is the second bad purchase from them in a year, so I think I am done with them.

I bought another D500 from a seller on Ebay with thousands of feedback and a 100% rating, as well as a 30 day free return policy. It had 119,00 shutter activations, cosmetically it looks like new and the image quality is great. I believe the other body had issues beyond a high shutter count as I could never get the metering just right either. This one is nuts on. And it was $50 less.

If you're planning on keeping the camera and got a good enough deal on it, I wouldn't worry about it. BUT if you change gear frequently and want to sell it,
that is sure going to factor into how much you can sell it for.

Back