Road trip advice needed. Sedona

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Well we’d fly but the wife and I might have a week to ourselves and thought Florida but it’s spring break so count me out. Wife said she’d love to see Sedona. Maybe not lots of wildlife but would love to try some landscape and even some Astro. Anyone have any advice on locations? Decent lodging any other attractions? Wrong time of year? No clue. I have 6 weeks off now and need to take advantage of one week of that for decompress time.

Thanks
Joe

Sedona is gorgeous and this is a good time of year. That said, it is always crowded and is expensive. Your best bet would be to try for an airbnb probably. Go to Chamber of Commerce web page to fine lists of hotels. I lived there for 30 years, haven't lived there for the last 15. :) Lots of trails, but they're usually pretty busy. You can go to Forest Service (Coconino National Forest) for info on trails. Essentially it's just a drop dead gorgeous tourist trap. :)

Well we’d fly but the wife and I might have a week to ourselves and thought Florida but it’s spring break so count me out. Wife said she’d love to see Sedona. Maybe not lots of wildlife but would love to try some landscape and even some Astro. Anyone have any advice on locations? Decent lodging any other attractions? Wrong time of year? No clue. I have 6 weeks off now and need to take advantage of one week of that for decompress time.

Thanks
Joe
I loved hiking Sedona! There are innumerable places in the area for great landscape photography - just about anywhere you go is a postcard. The town of Sedona is a little too artsy-fartsy and crowded for me, so I stayed in Oak Creek - a small village just a few miles south of Sedona itself. There are some nice B&Bs there, a few good eateries, and you can hike right out of town to some picturesque spots (Bell Rock & Courthouse Butte come to mind). Be prepared for plenty of company, but if you get an early start, you can avoid the crowds. I especially liked Oak Creek trail - once you get 1/2 mile in, crowds thin out considerably. For a little off-the-beaten-track, check out Montezuma's well and castle (south of Oak Creek) - wonderful Native American ruins - very beautiful, and peaceful. Oh yeah, one of my absolute favorite locations in the same area is V-Bar-V ranch - an utterly amazing place for Native American pictographs. A little farther afield, and down a long, rutted dirt road is Palatki and Honanki heritage sites - well worth the trip, IMHO. Because it's a little harder to get to, there are many fewer people, and the ruins are absolutely spectacular. Full disclosure: I'm a former archaeologist, so I gravitate to these places.

Good luck, and enjoy this beautiful part of the world!

Last edited:
I agree with Icarus and Abinoone. I live west of Phoenix but my wife and I have spent a lot of time there. One word is CROWDS! It gets absolutely insane on weekends just trying to get into town, especially summer. But it’s a landscape paradise, and a great place for hiking. We’ve gravitated more to the west end of town when we stay there. Not as busy. This time of year is good. You’ll get quite a few landscape shots….you just need to be prepared for lots of folks.

We've been to Sedona 3 times with a few years between each trip. We have both tent camped and rented motel rooms. When we rented we always drove on to Flagstaff. It's more affordable there but it is a bit of a drive from Sedona. If you go up to Flagstaff, a really great restaurant there is Josephene's. The food and ambiance there is outstanding. It's a small place so reservations are a good idea. A place of interest in Flagstaff is the Lowell Observatory. The Lowell is where they discovered the planet Pluto. Another nice restaurant is the Junipine. Have eaten there several times. It's along the highway that goes up to Flagstaff.

Walnut Creek Canyon is well worth the time if you like ancient cliff dwellings. Oak Creek Canyon is beautiful. If you hang out around the Midgely bridge towards the "golden hour" you can get colors there that some people will say are too good to be true (overprocessed) but they are real and not the computer magic kind.

Yes, it has become quite crowded in Sedona. The last time we were there just three years ago they had live traffic cops at a couple of the intersections to direct traffic. We actually had to wait in stop and go traffic just to get through the center of town. We like to hike and you can find some really rewarding trails but as others have said, don't expect solitude. My final word: It's really beautiful there and that's why it has become crowded, but I'd still go there yet again.

Last edited:
Back