Robber fly

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

A small robber fly called White-faced Micropanther, probably Cerotainia albipilosa.

R7_D4668 White-faced Micropanther, a robber fly, Cerotainia sp.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Nice shot Archibald! I’m thinking about giving macro a try. Was this shot with flash? Do you mind sharing your flash and diffuser set up?
Hi, Rookie Roy.

I use diffused flash for most of my macro photography. It comprises an on-camera flash with a fan-shaped diffuser affixed to the end of the lens with an elastic. I use an old Canon 580EX flash which lets me shoot at 1/8 to 1/4 power. That shortens recycle time and also gives a briefer flash burst than full power, which helps to freeze motion. I use a snoot extending from the flash head to the diffuser. There is aluminum foil inside it. The snoot boosts the light by about a stop, and it also stabilizes the rig against a breeze. The diffuser is cut from a portfolio thing (plastic stationery item) bought at Staples, but can be any suitable translucent plastic. Heavy diffusers give softer light but less light. I have heard vellum paper works well, but paper won't last long in rain. Some people use sheet packing foam.

Here is a pic of the rig as it was a few years ago. It hasn't changed much.

SL_04515 Diffuser and snoot.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

The diffuser sheets store flat, so they are easy to put in a camera bag.

Nowadays you can buy good diffusers, but it is easy and cheap to make one yourself.

Hi, Rookie Roy.

I use diffused flash for most of my macro photography. It comprises an on-camera flash with a fan-shaped diffuser affixed to the end of the lens with an elastic. I use an old Canon 580EX flash which lets me shoot at 1/8 to 1/4 power. That shortens recycle time and also gives a briefer flash burst than full power, which helps to freeze motion. I use a snoot extending from the flash head to the diffuser. There is aluminum foil inside it. The snoot boosts the light by about a stop, and it also stabilizes the rig against a breeze. The diffuser is cut from a portfolio thing (plastic stationery item) bought at Staples, but can be any suitable translucent plastic. Heavy diffusers give softer light but less light. I have heard vellum paper works well, but paper won't last long in rain. Some people use sheet packing foam.

Here is a pic of the rig as it was a few years ago. It hasn't changed much.

View attachment 93195

The diffuser sheets store flat, so they are easy to put in a camera bag.

Nowadays you can buy good diffusers, but it is easy and cheap to make one yourself.
Thank you!

Back