Rock Wren

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

BAL Land

Critiques greatly appreciated! I’m always looking for honest critiques on my images. From Orange County California a last week.
Image downsized for posting…it’s a lot sharper in my photos app.

1680040745396.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Nice bird ID photo. The next level of wildlife photography might involve a more natural environment.....and preferably show natural behavior, such as feeding, interaction with ??? (i.e. mate, another species, competition, etc. )

Nice bird ID photo. The next level of wildlife photography might involve a more natural environment.....and preferably show natural behavior, such as feeding, interaction with ??? (i.e. mate, another species, competition, etc. )
Thanks!! Unfortunately, this species is very uncommon in my county, but luckily this pair is nesting at this site! The problem is that they’re nesting in a brick wall next to a few homes…and there’s a b chain link fence and a road next to it, and the birds perch on those things rather than the flowers and bushes next to the fence! I’m not going to set up perched for the next few months here because I don’t want to disturb them while they’re nesting.

For example, here’s the other things they perch on.
1680043766205.jpeg

1680043797430.jpeg

You've already learned the best trick -- getting low for a better perspective on the wren. And you're getting sharp, lower ISO shots. I've had only one opportunity to photograph that species and caught it in early morning golden light, which made a dramatic difference! Sunset light would work the same. Since they are nesting, you may get the chance to photograph feedings. Sitting and letting the bird come to you will allow closer shots, and build trust. You're well on your way. Good luck!

Back