RolanPro Cover for Nikon 600mm f6.3 PF

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

For those considering the RolanPro cover for their Nikon 600mm f6.3 PF lens, it is an excellent product with one major design drawback. Section 4, which covers the manual focus ring, also extends onto a short segment of the lens barren between the control ring and manual focus ring. Prior to installing the RolanPro cover, the manual focus ring turned silky smooth. After installing the RolanPro cover, it became extremely difficult to rotate. So, the current options are to simply not install Section 4 or, do as I did, and carefully cut Section 4 into 4 pieces, one tailored for the focus ring and the other for the narrow segment of lens barrel. In doing so, silky smooth focusing with the manual focus ring returned.

Interesting. I did not have that problem with mine (manual focus ring rotates just fine/smoothly).

One thing I did struggle with for a bit was the tightness of section two (front of the lens barrel). I really had to work and hurt my fingers to get it in the right position. Once it was, it looks great though.

Last edited:
I have a friend that lives a few hours away and he had the same issue. Given that you didn't, perhaps it could just be attributable to bad copies in his case and mine. Even so, I still think splitting Section 4 into two sections would be a good thing.

Like you, however, I did have trouble with the coverings for the front of the lens barrel and also the lens hood. I still would prefer the RolanPro over Lenscoat but it certainly wouldn't hurt if the material the former is made from is just a wee bit more stretchable. I have rheumatoid arthritis and I must concede that probably added to the discomfort and difficulty that I experienced.

I received this week the Fujing cover for the Nikon PF600. Very good fit and good quality.

Attachments

• IMG_5450.jpeg
    IMG_5450.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 170
On Amazon, the following note is provided for this RolanPro cover:
  • Please note: This lens cover can only be used with the original lens foot provided by the lens manufacturer
I have the replacement foot from Hejnar - does anyone know whether the cover works with this foot?

I have a Fujing cover for my 600mm pf tele. I do not use the sections that would cover the focusing ring and the "lens ring."
And I do not use the piece that is supposed to cover the lens foot. With the cover in place, how could one mount the lens on a tripod? I do have a Kirk lens foot, but even had I kept the original one, I don't really see the purpose of a little "oven mitt" on the lens foot.

On Amazon, the following note is provided for this RolanPro cover:
  • Please note: This lens cover can only be used with the original lens foot provided by the lens manufacturer
I have the replacement foot from Hejnar - does anyone know whether the cover works with this foot?
You'll be fine. Similar as mentioned above, the RolanPro cover kit comes with a section that's almost like a "sock" for the original lens foot. If you have a different foot, just don't use that section and that's that. The rest of the lens (including the point where the aftermarket foot connects to the lens) will be covered the same, regardless of the foot being used (I personally use the Kirk LP-70 on mine).

I received this week the Fujing cover for the Nikon PF600. Very good fit and good quality.
+(y)
I have the Fujing for my 800pf , very happy with it.
At least on the 800pf the Fujing cover got ALL the 4 holes for the fn2 buttons , which the Lenscoat and Rolanpro didn't have ,
Also it is much easier to install the Fujing than the Rolanpro which can be useful if for example you want to dry it - its better to let it dry not on the lens , although its relatively fast to dry its not wise to keep damp material on a lens in my mind

I too am happy with the Fujing and use it for the 800mm pf, 600mm pf and 400mm f4.5. I thought it fit well on all the lenses. There is now a less expensive brand sold on B H I forgot the brand name. I tried one of those but it was poor quality it fit loose and did not have stitching around the edges. Do not go for the cheap stuff.

A question was posed as to whether the Fujing has a cutout for the button on the lens hood. The answer is yes for all three of these lenses.

The only issue with all of these covers is that they cover up the white indicator mark for lining up the lens with the camera. I ended up using a sharpie to mark a line on the cover at the white indicator spot.

I also do not use the lens foot cover.

The package came with a clear plastic sheet with red dots on it. I suspect those red dots are supposed to be markers to go on the cover but I was not able to figure out how they were supposed to be applied. If anyone has an idea let me know.

The red dots are patches that have an adhesive side , so I used them to :
1. Replace the white dot on the lens mount that align the camera and lens.
2. Replace the two alignment dots of the collar , with two adjacent dots on both adjacent covers
HOWEVER these dots patches , at least in my case, didn’t last long and they fall after few months, so had to replace the collar alignment ones with marker , and probably will have to do the same on the mount side like you already did

Attachments

• 3664666c-5cf7-4b1c-bff8-08b74662317d.jpeg
    3664666c-5cf7-4b1c-bff8-08b74662317d.jpeg
    323.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 71f0e636-2148-40f8-bd9d-074599ca0205.jpeg
    71f0e636-2148-40f8-bd9d-074599ca0205.jpeg
    348 KB · Views: 69
Back