Rolling Shutter ?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Have the Z9 and just picked up the Z6iii for low light, very happy with it.. using 200-600 on today, took some bird take off shots and had some rolling shutter. I sold my awesome D6 ...not saying z6iii is better, but I think in low light it will work just fine, time will tell and it's quiet !

I'm listening. How are mechanical or first curtain shutters causing rolling shutter effect?
At faster shutter speeds the shutter doesn't expose the entire sensor at once; it's a moving slit. The fastest shutter speed where the entire sensor is exposed at once is the maximum flash sync speed. At any shutter speed faster than this a single flash would expose only a part of the sensor (this has been overcome with High Speed Sync, with multiple sequential flashes as the shutter exposes consecutive parts of the sensor).

In the film era it was called focal plane shutter distortion; it produces the same effect as what we now know as rolling shutter.

Effect of Rolling Shutter
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Camera Settings:
  • animal eye focus
  • 1/2000 sec
  • electronic shutter
  • 20 frames per second
  • sensor (full frame; 45 MP) : medium readout speed
  • lens (500 mm + 1.4x) : very fast focus speed
Actual Speed:
  • seagull : 40 km/h
  • house : 0 km/h
Apparent Speed (panning):
  • seagull : 0 km/h
  • house : 80 km/h

I've estimated the speeds, but reckon them to be 'fair enough' given that the house was some distance beyond the seagull.

Last edited:
Back