Rose-breasted Grosbeak

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I took this from my car this past Sunday. I parked near some eye level perches in front of a distant background and waited for this guy to land on them. It was partly cloudy with harsh light when the sun was out, but luckily I had a cooperative cloud filtering the sun for this shot :)

D7500 + 200-500
1/500 F/5.6 ISO 800 410mm

52081753107_1fc8d9f7c4_h.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

It’s a great shot. Are there many of them in your area?
Thank you! I was just editing my comment. Yes there are quite a few who are either breeding residents or birds that are passing through on migration. A male was spotted at the same exact location last year so I figured he'd be back at the same spot. Not sure if it's the same one, but I do know migrants will often return to the same location each breeding season.

Absolutely beautiful photograph. They're one of the prettiest birds we have breeding here -- had two males and three females at our place at the same time about ten days ago. Now the migrants have moved on and I only see the breeding pair around the house.

Absolutely beautiful photograph. They're one of the prettiest birds we have breeding here -- had two males and three females at our place at the same time about ten days ago. Now the migrants have moved on and I only see the breeding pair around the house.
Thanks! It's always nice when you can find breeding migrants that stick around all summer. There are some other migrants including some warbler species that I now know where to locate over the summer, so I have that to look forward to :)

Back