Royal Spoonbill shot with D850 & 400/2.8 with 1.4 and 2x for comparison

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ruley74

When out today one thing I wanted to do was really see how the 2x goes on the 400/2.8 to see if I get rid of it or keep it. I feel I may need to micro adjust to move the focus rearward a little but I think it's pretty close going by the DOF visible below.

With 1.4, wide open at F/4. crop to 6000x4000
D85_1683insta.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Now 2x, F/8. crop to 7500x5000ish
D85_1691insta.jpg

For comparison here's my D500 with the 200-500 F/5.6. Crop to 5000 long side
D50_9118insta.jpg

Dean, think the D500 image is better by eye. My 400 F/2.8 did not like the 2 X TC ii. especially on the D800, often gave me black images. On the D3S with the 2X TCiii, nearly all images were always good. But I seldom shot < F/7.1! Maybe that could be the problem?

Dean, think the D500 image is better by eye. My 400 F/2.8 did not like the 2 X TC ii. especially on the D800, often gave me black images. On the D3S with the 2X TCiii, nearly all images were always good. But I seldom shot < F/7.1! Maybe that could be the problem?

Agree with Callie, the 2.0TCii makes for a great paperweight, whereas the iii is vast improvement, however I found it only "compatible" with Nikkor's f/2.8's.

Thanks men, that is a version III 2x and a version II 1.4. Yes i agree the third shot is sharper, I've always been ok with my 200-500 sharpness, just interesting to compare.

Agreed on the last shot... But I'm actually surprised on the 2.0 image.... it's really quite good as well.
Thanks Gordon, that was the main test, is it usable or not. I would be happy to use it based on that. I've just come to the conclusion that the light needs to be ample.

Back