RRS Foot for Z 600mm TC

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

After reading several posts about this I ordered the RRS foot and I received it today. I think it is a very well machined foot and almost (except for the soft rubber part) comparable with the oem foot. I wish Nikon would have a arca swiss compatible oem foot available. Anyway, it's a nice foot.
The reason I'm writing is that to my surprise the original screws weren't fixed with loctite or something similar. Instead there was actually a little bit of an oily substance.
Maybe I'm too paranoid about falling lenses but trusting four tiny screws without any locking? The new foot has some kind of locking on the two screws towards the front of the lens but not on the rear.
So my question is, did you guys have the same observation?
Did you use loctite to make sure that the screws don't work themselves out? (Using loctite might become a problem if you want to take it apart again for some reason.)
Am I unnecessarily worried? A $16,000 lens plus a $5500 camera hanging from my monopod on four little screws?

Loctite is not the norm. The only time in recent memory worked itself out was on a cheap and since discarded SmallRig bracket. Never on RRS anything.

Loctite is not the norm. The only time in recent memory worked itself out was on a cheap and since discarded SmallRig bracket. Never on RRS anything.
I didn’t really think it is altough I used to work with industrial machines and there everything gets locked one way or the other.
I just wanted to hear some opinions, thank you for yours.

I’ve used loctite in the past, just don’t get carried away with it. Look for “small screw” loctite, may also be referred to as 242. Also use only one very small drop, just enough to coat the first 2-3 screw threads.

Reactions: KAC
I’ve used loctite in the past, just don’t get carried away with it. Look for “small screw” loctite, may also be referred to as 242. Also use only one very small drop, just enough to coat the first 2-3 screw threads
I’ve used loctite in the past, just don’t get carried away with it. Look for “small screw” loctite, may also be referred to as 242. Also use only one very small drop, just enough to coat the first 2-3 screw threads.
there is another thread recently about Loctite. Use either 222 or 242 and you won’t go wrong.

Back