Ruby Throated Hummer

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

BWP

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I welcome any thoughts on this photo. I have a feeling that the background is too busy and detracts from the image of the bird.
_BWP0870.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Wonderful image. Perhaps try a light curve adjustment to the bird....and a slight desaturation ( or lightening or ????) of the background. Just a thought.... play until you get the look you want.

Reactions: BWP
It is a wonderful image. I'd be proud if it was mine. To my eyes, the wings being blurred blend into the soft background a little more than is effective. Perhaps a faster shutter speed might have made them stand off the background a little more.
I think a little more contrast between the wings and the lighter background area could improve things.
Thanks for posting, and take in mind that I consider myself a beginner, especially after seeing the wonderful work others are sharing here. Including your photo...

I agree, a faster shutter speed would have frozen the wings but in the rain forest it's much darker than imagined. I would have had to boost the ISO which would introduce more noise. It was a trade off, but it would be nice to experiment next time to see how this idea works out.

I might do a side by side with some adjustments. I'll post it once I get it accomplished.

Beautiful shot, I like the blurred wings and the angle.
I like the background a lot, it's not distracting to me and shows a bit of the habitat (I guess it's a bush). It looks more natural to me that those super clean green backgrounds (which I also like but sometimes they look a bit artificial).

Beautiful shot, I like the blurred wings and the angle.
I like the background a lot, it's not distracting to me and shows a bit of the habitat (I guess it's a bush). It looks more natural to me that those super clean green backgrounds (which I also like but sometimes they look a bit artificial).
Thanks, that's very kind of you to say.

Back