Ruby throated

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Borden

619F2C2A-BD8D-4315-933C-62698AE2AA99.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I can't seem to get the brilliant colors of the hummers that I find. I shoot a d700 & a n200-400 f4 seems I've used my com adj. And shutter priority, aperture priority never get the colors. What type of settings are you using if you don't mind me asking

This image was shot with a Nikon D5. 400 mm prime f2.8. Minimal crop. Shutter priority at 1/2000 sec. F 2.8. Not sure of ISO. It was a bright enough cloudy day. I believe it was relatively low. Below 1000. I have run this image through PhotoShop and used Smart sharpen as well a bit of dodging and burning. Hope this helps. 😀

I can't seem to get the brilliant colors of the hummers that I find. I shoot a d700 & a n200-400 f4 seems I've used my com adj. And shutter priority, aperture priority never get the colors. What type of settings are you using if you don't mind me asking
This image was shot with a Nikon D5. 400 mm prime f2.8. Minimal crop. Shutter priority at 1/2000 sec. F 2.8. Not sure of ISO. It was a bright enough cloudy day. I believe it was relatively low. Below 1000. I have run this image through PhotoShop and used Smart sharpen as well a bit of dodging and burning. Hope this helps. 😀

Yes absolutely I'm just an amateur who enjoys birds and I feel I've done fairly well with large birds, but can't seem to master those little critters. I've just purchased my editing program so I've done nothing in post as of yet, my program is Affinity Photo.

I’m not familiar with Afinity Photo unfortunately. So I can’t offer my opinion with post processing with that program. My advice would be, just keep shooting. Patience is key. And experiment with your shutter speeds, especially with those tiny birds. Shoot lots and you’ll Definetly get some keepers. 😀. Also, go read Steve Perry’s books on shooting birds in flight. Definetly helps. Good luck.

Yes absolutely I'm just an amateur who enjoys birds and I feel I've done fairly well with large birds, but can't seem to master those little critters. I've just purchased my editing program so I've done nothing in post as of yet, my program is Affinity Photo.
Proper lighting is the key to get the pop in the colors. Also a small amount of post processing. Adjusting shadows, saturation levels and vibrancy usually do the trick. Affinity photos has all these adjustments and more.

As far as critique goes, since you posted in the critique section, I would note a couple composition ideas. First a small matter, the bit of foliage bottom right can be cloned out. Second is the choice to include the large white flower. It is by far the brightest and most contrasty part of the image and the eye goes there first and linger there, diminishing the main subject which is wonderful by itself and well done with the plant it is hovering near. While the white is pretty, it doesnt add to the impact of the hummer, in my opinion of course. Nice and sharp with beutiful colors.

Back