Rumored Canon R5 mark ii

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Great specs. If they resolve the overheating might have to try it.

The rumors say there is a new overheat prevention design. Though I haven't had issues but don't go for video much.

I certainly hope Canon keeps the higher read speed of their non-stacked sensor. The R5 is just fast enough to make rolling shutter a rare issue but if they slow it down, it will become a concern for wildlife stills and video. That’s one thing canon has done well so far (vs Sony) - there is enough difference to make the stacked sensor attractive but the regular CMOS sensors are still fast enough for most uses.
61MP BSI, with the same read speed as the R5 would be quite the accomplishment.

I certainly hope Canon keeps the higher read speed of their non-stacked sensor. The R5 is just fast enough to make rolling shutter a rare issue but if they slow it down, it will become a concern for wildlife stills and video. That’s one thing canon has done well so far (vs Sony) - there is enough difference to make the stacked sensor attractive but the regular CMOS sensors are still fast enough for most uses.
61MP BSI, with the same read speed as the R5 would be quite the accomplishment.

The rumor says 30 fps mechanical so it would have to be fast, if true.

I love my two R5s...but holding out for a hopeful R1. Can't see shelling out for a version 2 R5, although the dual CFE card slot, heating solution, and focusing enhancements might tempt me to upgrade one of my bodies.....will be interesting to see what actually comes out.

The rumor says 30 fps mechanical so it would have to be fast, if true.

The fps (electronic) doesn't tell us much useful, it simply means no more than 33ms read time, but since read time is only one factor of many going into the final fps, it likely reads significantly faster than 33ms (to allow time for data transfer for example) - the R7 sensor which reads in 31ms is being maligned for its rolling shutter in action shots (the R3 is 5.5ms for comparison but the current R5 reads in 15.5ms).

Either way, the Sony 61MP BSI reads in 62ms so this canon sensor is likely much faster and close to the R5 read time, if the rumor is true; which would be quite amazing.

Maybe they're planning to use the new Sony sensor.

From memory, fanboys of both persuasions lit up DPR when the R3 was introduced and someone pointed out that the sensor looks very similar to the A9ii sensor. Canon said that it was "designed" by them, and I don't recall whether that was ever settled.

Last edited:
Back