Sacred Kingfishers & Catbirds

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Lance B

Supporting Member
Marketplace
The Sacred Kingfishers have returned from their migration up north and I got a number of shots as the pair moved about their territory at the Royal National Park. Most are shot at 840mm but a couple with the bare 600mm once they got used to me and I could get a little closer. A smallish bird at only about 200mm (8") in length from tip of that huge beak to end of tail.

1) Sacred Kingfisher

Z9 + 600 f4 TC, 1/320s f/4.0 at 600.0mm iso400

original.jpg

2) Sacred Kingfisher

Z9 + 600 f4 TC, 1/320s f/4.0 at 600.0mm iso400

original.jpg

3) Sacred Kingfisher. This was shot clear across the river about 15-20mts away and is a 100% crop.

Z9 + 600 f4 TC, 1/200s f/5.6 at 840.0mm iso180

original.jpg

4) Sacred Kingfisher

Z9 + 600 f4 TC, 1/320s f/5.6 at 840.0mm iso280

original.jpg

5) Sacred Kingfisher

Z9 + 600 f4 TC, 1/320s f/5.6 at 840.0mm iso500

original.jpg

6) Green Catbird. At the Royal National Park as well.

Z8 + 600 f4 TC, 1/100s f/9.0 at 840.0mm iso3200

original.jpg

7) Green Catbird.

Z8 + 600 f4 TC, 1/100s f/5.6 at 600.0mm iso3200

original.jpg

Awesome photos, Lance. I think in the last photo the catbird wants to know what you are doing.
Thank you very much, Steve. Much appreciated!

I had the camera shutter sound set to "2", so relatively quiet, but there was enough sound that it got his attention. This is why I like to have some sort of shutter sound as most birds will look to see what the sound is and thus get eye contact.

Lance, these are terrific. Never heard of a green catbird. It’s gorgeous! Beautiful series….👍
Thank you very much, Larry. Much appreciated!

The Green Catbird is part of the Bowerbird family of birds which are mostly endemic to Australia with a few in Papua New Guinea. The Catbird is so named as it's call can sound sort of like a meowing cat at times.

Great shots Lance, I have never seen a Green Catbird.
Thank you very much, Ira. Much appreciated!

As mentioned above to Larry: The Green Catbird is part of the Bowerbird family of birds which are mostly endemic to Australia with a few in Papua New Guinea. The Catbird is so named as it's call can sound sort of like a meowing cat at times.

Thank you very much, Larry. Much appreciated!

The Green Catbird is part of the Bowerbird family of birds which are mostly endemic to Australia with a few in Papua New Guinea. The Catbird is so named as it's call can sound sort of like a meowing cat at times.
Great of you to pass along this knowledge to the forum….Here in Virginia we have the “gray catbird” that really doesn’t resemble your’s…. Also so named for the same call resembling domestic cats….. here’s ours.. a shot from several years ago….
LCS_0654.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Back