Same cactus, different seasons

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

MrFotoFool

Supporting Member
Marketplace
The shot on left was several months ago in full shade. The shot on right was this morning in backlit early sun. Just curious which one all of you prefer (I have a preference but want to see if there is a consensus).

Saguaro NP West 11222.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Saguaro NP West S10323.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Fred, hello to Ms Crested. It’s hard for me to pick as the backgrounds differ. I tend to prefer the shade one but the hill is a little distracting from the crest. The backlit one seems to need some contrast on the crested and the Ocatillio are a bit distracting. Hope that helps. Michael

Overall, I like the one on the left since the background is nicely OOF and the texture in the cactus is easily seen. I like the rim light on the right image but I think the background is too busy. Also, the top of the cactus is really interesting and you can see that better in the left image.

I'm also in the "left" camp. More pleasing to my eye versus the bright background of the right. I also like the semi-visible repeating pattern of the other cacti (I think) in the background on the left photo.

I prefer the backlit shot on the right. The shape of the cactus stands out more and the background is nicer, less busy. The heavy vignetting on the left shot also bothers me as it feels inconsistent with the sunny day. I’d reduce the vignetting on the backlit shot, too, but it’s not as distracting. I would be tempted to crop out the foreground though as that didn’t render so well, imho.

Back