Samsung T7 Shield (2TB) Issue

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Replytoken

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I have a handful of Samsung T5 and T7 SSD's that I use for storage and backup. Yesterday, I tried to copy files to my only T7 Shield drive and ran into an issue with transfer speeds that were in the range of 1MB/sec. Normally this drive shows me speeds in the hundreds of MB/sec. so I started to problem solve the issue. I rebooted my machine, tried different cables and ports, tried copying from different locations and e3ven tried a different machine. No luck. And all my other Samsung drives were operating normally. I searched the internet and it appears that this issue has been reported by a number of folks in places like Reddit, YT and other forums. Unfortunately the solutions being offered in several YT videos are not really a fix, so I am a bit stumped. If you have one of these drives, pay attention to see if this happens to you. And if you have experienced this issue, let me know if you have a fix that works.

Thanks,

--Ken

Interesting post. A few months ago, I tried using a new T7 and was appalled at the lack of speed. I thought at the time it might be something else, so I ended using a diffeent approach to the issue at hand. Just curious if Samsung has any comment? I've been happy with their T5's.

Interesting post. A few months ago, I tried using a new T7 and was appalled at the lack of speed. I thought at the time it might be something else, so I ended using a diffeent approach to the issue at hand. Just curious if Samsung has any comment? I've been happy with their T5's.
I have been happy with their T5's and the T7 that is not a Shield model (1TB). The Shield was mostly fine in past use, so I am not sure what caused the issue to appear. I did update Samsung Magician on my PC as my C: drive is a Samsung EVO, but Magician does not seem to recognize the external SSD's so I am not sure if that it related or not. For the time being until this gets solved, I pulled the drive out of use. It can be read, but that write time was surpassed by my 400k floppies back in 1984.

--Ken

P.S. Thanks to the Mods who moved this.(y) I was not certain if this would be appropriate in the Post-Processing board and assumed otherwise. Given our discussions about PC's and tablets, perhaps we should have an electronic equipment/computing board?

I tried the "fix" as in one of the YT videos and running the downloaded monitoring program determined with my 1tb T7 there was no change in speeds using their self-generated test data. As you say, I've been happy with the T5 performance and first thought maybe my old desktop was the issue but I ran the tests on a 6 month old Win 11 laptop with an i9, 32gb ram so it seems the drive is the bottleneck.

Back