Samyang MF 14mm F2.8 Z and Z9

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

agrumpybirdphotographer

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Anybody used the MF Samyang 14mm f2.8 on a Z9?

Would be interested if anyone had an experience of it in use and how it “played” with a Z9.

Thanks

I owned that lens and used it quite a bit with my D800, D850 and Z6 II mostly for astrophotography work where it really shines but also for some landscape work. I'm sure it will work fine with the Z8/Z9.

I moved up to the Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.4 SP lens for those same uses and use that version with both the Z8 and Z9. It works fine with those cameras via one of the FTZ adapters and is a great manual focus astro and landscape lens. They're both nice lenses and the f/2.8 version comes in at an attractive price point but I really like the f/2.4 SP version and think it's worth the higher price tag.

I owned that lens and used it quite a bit with my D800, D850 and Z6 II mostly for astrophotography work where it really shines but also for some landscape work. I'm sure it will work fine with the Z8/Z9.

I moved up to the Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.4 SP lens for those same uses and use that version with both the Z8 and Z9. It works fine with those cameras via one of the FTZ adapters and is a great manual focus astro and landscape lens. They're both nice lenses and the f/2.8 version comes in at an attractive price point but I really like the f/2.4 SP version and think it's worth the higher price tag.
Thanks Dan Astro / Landscape was exactly what I had in mind, the price tag is very attractive.

Last edited:
It's probably just as usable as the prior versions, but...if you're going to spend 5k on a camera body+, I'd also want to spend more on a better lens (like the 20 1.8z, , or even the 14-24 2.8). It's very much a one trick pony in my experience, and outclassed in many ways by other lenses, but it's a good lens for the price and what it is.

Anybody used the MF Samyang 14mm f2.8 on a Z9?

Would be interested if anyone had an experience of it in use and how it “played” with a Z9.

Thanks

I use one on my Z6ii and it works well

ENTER IF YOU DARE by Graham Owen.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I ordered the F mount version when I had a D850 and tested it for a day and returned it because edges were too distorted. Not sure if same will be true for Z mount version. When I went to Z8 I did consider this and other similar third party alternatives, but finally decided I would be happier saving up for the Nikon Z 14-30 f4 (which I did). I almost never do astro which is why f4 is fine for my use (landscape and architecture), but if you intend to do astro then this might work. You might want something with an aperture even faster than f2.8 . For example, this Venus 15mm f2 is currently two hundred bucks off: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1494822-REG/venus_optics_ve1520nz_laowa_15mm_f_2_fe.html

It's probably just as usable as the prior versions, but...if you're going to spend 5k on a camera body+, I'd also want to spend more on a better lens (like the 20 1.8z, , or even the 14-24 2.8). It's very much a one trick pony in my experience, and outclassed in many ways by other lenses, but it's a good lens for the price and what it is.
I use one on my Z6ii and it works well

View attachment 85696
I ordered the F mount version when I had a D850 and tested it for a day and returned it because edges were too distorted. Not sure if same will be true for Z mount version. When I went to Z8 I did consider this and other similar third party alternatives, but finally decided I would be happier saving up for the Nikon Z 14-30 f4 (which I did). I almost never do astro which is why f4 is fine for my use (landscape and architecture), but if you intend to do astro then this might work. You might want something with an aperture even faster than f2.8 . For example, this Venus 15mm f2 is currently two hundred bucks off: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1494822-REG/venus_optics_ve1520nz_laowa_15mm_f_2_fe.html
I don't have direct experience but I often heard Samyang had some QC issues. If you receive a good copy, that's good. But I heard people complained about getting bad copies after several replacements. Have you considered the new Laowa 10mm f2.8 autofocus. I guess for 10mm, autofocus doesn't matter too much. Laowa lens produce very nice star burst.

Thanks to all for replying. Im going to have a bit of a rethink of my needs balanced against likely usage and cost etc.

Back