If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

BrentPaull

American West Photo Safaris
Supporting Member
Marketplace
No matter the crazy, enabled local islanders in the area - we had a great safari last week. Most of the San Juan Islanders seem fine, but some that live near American Camp are just wealthy, selfish pagans, who think that by scaring the foxes they are somehow rattling the photographers. The BLM ranger was there to record their harassment of the foxes, and a Sheriff came out to trespass an idiot islander woman who couldn't stop screaming obscenities at the photographers. She was led off the property. I personally have seen a woman let her dogs loose to chase the foxes back into their den. I guess they take out their frustrantions on the photographers - who park nearby legally, who walk in the meadows legally, who photograph the foxes legally. The BLM ranger made a point of telling me that the photographers all acted professionaly and she had never seen one act otherwise. She couldn't say the same for the islanders. I have numerous images of foxes coming back to the den area from the houses with fresh hot dogs, chicken wings, turkey legs, store bought chicken eggs, etc. In 5 years I've never seen a photographer feed a fox, or hinder a fox from going where it wanted, everyone had big glass so no one made a close approach. They even had to pass an ordinance in San Juan County making it illegal to harass photographers. They didn't slow me down a bit, I shot 39k images in 3 days.

Z91_1325-web.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Z91_7682-web.jpg

Z91_8532-web.jpg

Z91_9691-web.jpg

Z91_1288-web.jpg

Z91_2705-web.jpg

No matter the crazy, enabled local islanders in the area - we had a great safari last week. Most of the San Juan Islanders seem fine, but some that live near American Camp are just wealthy, selfish pagans, who think that by scaring the foxes they are somehow rattling the photographers. The BLM ranger was there to record their harassment of the foxes, and a Sheriff came out to trespass an idiot islander woman who couldn't stop screaming obscenities at the photographers. She was led off the property. I personally have seen a woman let her dogs loose to chase the foxes back into their den. I guess they take out their frustrantions on the photographers - who park nearby legally, who walk in the meadows legally, who photograph the foxes legally. The BLM ranger made a point of telling me that the photographers all acted professionaly and she had never seen one act otherwise. She couldn't say the same for the islanders. I have numerous images of foxes coming back to the den area from the houses with fresh hot dogs, chicken wings, turkey legs, store bought chicken eggs, etc. In 5 years I've never seen a photographer feed a fox, or hinder a fox from going where it wanted, everyone had big glass so no one made a close approach. They even had to pass an ordinance in San Juan County making it illegal to harass photographers. They didn't slow me down a bit, I shot 39k images in 3 days.

View attachment 88682
View attachment 88683
View attachment 88684
View attachment 88685
View attachment 88686
View attachment 88687
Awesome Series! Well doneđź‘Ťđź‘Ťđź‘Ť

Great shots Brett. I was there 2 years ago for a couple of days and had a good experience, but I heard the stories. Photographers were on their best behavior for th most part. In fact, when one went off the path we were told to stay on, we told him to get back with the rest of us and to follow the rules so as to not ruin it for everyone. He complied. One photographer told me that a crazy local was out brandishing a shot gun.

Heading there next weekend, try to get there every year or two. I'm either out by American Camp checking out the foxes or on a boat checking out whales. Haven't any bad interactions with the locals other than watching a couple take lawn chairs and park themselves within a dozen yards of an active den.
Excellent shots, hope I can get something anywhere as good. Would love to know how you were able to get so close.
The guy below literally walked down the road right past me, they have become quite comfortable with people being around.

Attachments

• 2022_05_06_SJI_Z62_8969-Edit-2.jpg
    2022_05_06_SJI_Z62_8969-Edit-2.jpg
    617.8 KB · Views: 44
Great shots Brett. I was there 2 years ago for a couple of days and had a good experience, but I heard the stories. Photographers were on their best behavior for th most part. In fact, when one went off the path we were told to stay on, we told him to get back with the rest of us and to follow the rules so as to not ruin it for everyone. He complied. One photographer told me that a crazy local was out brandishing a shot gun.
That guy got a visit from the County Sheriff. FYI the BLM Ranger who was there said there are no distance limits to the foxes, though a long lens naturally keeps folks back, she also said you can walk anywhere you want, the trails are meaningless and more a function common traffic.

Heading there next weekend, try to get there every year or two. I'm either out by American Camp checking out the foxes or on a boat checking out whales. Haven't any bad interactions with the locals other than watching a couple take lawn chairs and park themselves within a dozen yards of an active den.
Excellent shots, hope I can get something anywhere as good. Would love to know how you were able to get so close.
The guy below literally walked down the road right past me, they have become quite comfortable with people being around.
As per the BLM (Bureau of Land Management) Ranger, there are distance limits for the foxes, unlike national parks. Shooting a 400 or 500 lens will keep you back naturally. I shoot a 500 on a Z9.

@BrentPaull Your post above says there are distance limits (per BLM) but your post above that says there are no distance limits (per BLM). Is one of those a typo?
There are no distance limits on BLM land. No "75-foot" rule which the neighbors will yell out to you. I was on this trip and I spoke to the Fish and Game, or BLM person, not sure of the exact title, Warden, as did Brent. Their one rule is do nothing that affects the behavior of the animal. These foxes are quite acclimated to humans as the neighbors have fed them for years and you can be shooting them walking toward you on a trail and they just keep coming and walk right past you. If this occurs you simply stop and stay still until they are somewhat past you and then you can turn or move. I think he meant to say "there are NOT" distance limits.

There are no distance limits on BLM land. No "75-foot" rule which the neighbors will yell out to you. I was on this trip and I spoke to the Fish and Game, or BLM person, not sure of the exact title, Warden, as did Brent. Their one rule is do nothing that affects the behavior of the animal. These foxes are quite acclimated to humans as the neighbors have fed them for years and you can be shooting them walking toward you on a trail and they just keep coming and walk right past you. If this occurs you simply stop and stay still until they are somewhat past you and then you can turn or move. I think he meant to say "there are NOT" distance limits.
There are no distance limits.