Saturday at wetlands in Hamilton, Ontario

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Rassie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I strolled around the wetlands and forests of Royal Botanical Gardens in Hamilton on Saturday, Nice to get out early morning when everything is quiet.

Great Egret

DSC_2821A.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

White-breasted Nuthatch

DSC_2937-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Male Wood Duck. He seemed quite happy in the dirty, scummy water.

DSC_2944.jpg

Moulting Northern Cardinal. Let's hope he doesn't realize how patchy he looks.

DSC_3056.jpg

Last edited:
I strolled around the wetlands and forests of Royal Botanical Gardens in Hamilton on Saturday, Nice to get out early morning when everything is quiet.

Great Egret

View attachment 94132
White-breasted Nuthatch

View attachment 94133
Female Wood Duck. The males were nowhere to be seen. She seemed quite happy in the dirty, scummy water.

View attachment 94134

View attachment 94135
Excellent set Rassie👍👍👍

All are winners. Nice!
Thanks, Woody.
Dandy photos. For some reason a lot of cardinals go bald as they molt.
Thanks, Woody. Yes, I have one or two images of such a bald male Cardinal in the archives as well.
Outstanding set Koos. Love the molting Cardinal but all are great.
Thanks, Rick. I find it odd that the Cardinal has such a black skin under those feathers.
Excellent set Rassie👍👍👍
Thanks, Ralph.
Super shots Koos!
Thanks, Ira!
All excellent, but the nuthatch takes the honors for me!
Thanks, Karen. The area where I shot the images of the little birds is very popular with families bringing their children out for a day on weekends. Unfortunately they all bring bags full of birdseed to feed the birds. The little birds are now so habituated that they literally perch on one's hand and eat out of your hand. Both the nuthatch and the cardinal came and perched very close to me, expecting me to feed them. To their disappointment, all I did was to make them famous on BCG. :)

There was a little 10-year-old girl who squatted down on the ground and fed a chipmunk out of her hand. With the other hand she was stroking its back while it fed on the seeds. And all this happens despite signs posted that ask people not to feed the wildlife.

Great Egret

View attachment 94232
White-breasted Nuthatch

View attachment 94133
Female Wood Duck. The males were nowhere to be seen. She seemed quite happy in the dirty, scummy water.

View attachment 94134

View attachment 94135
Really nice work here Koos! The cardinal is missing some feathers on his head. I saw that just once, years ago. Nice set.

Mooi werk, Koos!
The cardinal realy looks hen-pegged! :cool:
Dankie, Callie. He looks hen-pecked, doesn't he? Having seen couples interact regularly (I have two of them who breed in the woods behind my house in spring and summer, then they fly south for winter, and return again next spring). As bird couples go, I haven't yet seen females treat the males poorly in any way. They seem to treat each other with the greatest respect.

Not so for the house finches. The red one is the male. I had an aunt like that...

Z62_7516.jpg

Back