Saw Whet

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

A little saw whet owl from not too far away, was able to see him a couple of times, thanks for any thoughts; he's fairly in the open but lighting in the woods is pretty rough.

Post work in ADOBE Raw, Topaz DeNoise, Topaz Sharpener, Nik Color Effects Pro (contrast adjustments).

Z9, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 1/100; ISO 800; 400mm; flash used.

Attachments

• z saw whet 2.jpg
    z saw whet 2.jpg
    599.2 KB · Views: 53
That is very nicely done. The whites are right at the edge of blowing out but not, so you got every bit of brightness out of them. Same with the shadows, dark but still some detail showing. Since you put in for critique the relatively minor thing I notice is that one can tell it is a flash, with the strong value contrast with the background. I'm thinking the background doesn't have to be that dark.

That is very nicely done. The whites are right at the edge of blowing out but not, so you got every bit of brightness out of them. Same with the shadows, dark but still some detail showing. Since you put in for critique the relatively minor thing I notice is that one can tell it is a flash, with the strong value contrast with the background. I'm thinking the background doesn't have to be that dark.
Hi Bill, thanks...I did try to adjust it here to make the background a little less dark.

zz saw whet 2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Back