Saw Whet

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Had a chance to visit a saw whet again today, this time another one in a different tree, but unfortuantely left my tripod in the car,
otherwise would have set it up with a remote cable. Just looking for any critiques on focus and sharpness here on the eyes.

Nikon Z9, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 VR, 155mm, 1/200, f/4.8, ISO 2500;
Flash with orange filter

z saw whet 1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Image looks good. No issues with flash and does not look flashed. Is this image cropped or full frame ?

if full frame, I am wondering how come you were that close to the owl.

It is cropped a bit, but taken with a zoom. Saw Whets one can get fairly close to; there were a few other photographers there, and all were close but not too close. One guide another time even held out his finger and the owl followed his hand a bit at a distance; they tend to be stoic and sit in a spot. The flash had an orange filter on it as well and took just a couple with the flash.

Opinion # 1m +1. I like it a lot but I think it would look better if the orange were somewhere in between #1 and #2. It seems a little heavy in #1, it's all over the picture and it yellows the white and green a bit too much. On the other hand, whatever pleases you can never be wrong. ;)
Beautiful owl and image.

Back