Scanning 6x6 slides - Best Approaches

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

My father has used Hasselblad cameras all his life and we are left with many slides that I'd like to turn into digital format for easy sharing with family members. I've considered a flatbed scanner and also a device that would allow a picture to be taken with my Z9 (if that exists). I'm not really sure how to go about it and would appreciate input on how to approach it. I use Mac products, so any hardware / software approaches need to work with it. Suggestions of actual products is really appreciated. Thanks!

I have an Epson V700 flatbed scanner that came with all the holders for 35mm (with and without slide mounts), all varieties of medium format, 4x5 and 8x10 sheet film. It also came with software. There's a little learning curve but I am more than satisfied with the scans. My late father had a Mamiya 7 and I've scanned a few of his 6x7 chromes. Here's one scanned on my V700:
scan128mod.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

A friend has had good results with the bellows addon to a camera but I'm not sure if they're available in MF.

I've used a dedicated scanner for 35mm myself and that was pretty quick with very handy auto spot removal.

I have an older version of the Epson, a v500. I still use it and really like it. I'm hoping to try it soon on some old glass slides of my grandfather's during the building of the Panama canal. I have prints as well.
But the Epson v500 has been great for making archival copies of documents as tiff files, with good color rendering. I wouldn't hesitate to get a newer version. There are probably improvements to the software.
I assume the Epson works with either Mac or windows. I'm using it with Windows.
Good luck.

It appears the epson comes with adapter for scanning strips of 6x6 film but I need to scan mounted 6x6 slides. Is there a different adapter or can mounted slides work with the included adapter?

Have you looked at the price? I just checked B&H and the Epson V850 recommended above is $1,299! Ouch! Depending on how many slides you have, you might be able to send them to a lab and have them scanned by someone else for the same price or less.

A less expensive option is to use a light table and photograph them with a digital camera with a close up lens (assuming you have a good digital camera, if not then obviously that is not cheap). This may not be as high quality as a dedicated scanner, but if you only want to share them electronically with family it could do the trick.

Hello,
I just started scanning some 6x6 negatives. I have an old photo copy stand where I mounted my Nikon D850 with a 100 mm lens (you can use a 50 - 105 mm lens). I also have an old light box that I placed on the base of the copy stand. I then purchased ($41.00) a medium format film carrier from (https://sprocketandco.com/) and used Lightroom Classic and Tethered my camera to Lightroom Classic to capture the image of the negative. I had to purchase a special cable to plug into the side of my Nikon D850 that goes to my Macbook Pro computer (can't recall the cost). Then I used Negative Lab Pro (https://www.negativelabpro.com/) to do the magic to convert the negative to positive and do some adjustments. I just have been using the trial version of this program which gave me 24 captures before I would have to buy the software ($99.00). So far I like the results. See:
. The film carrier keeps the film flat. You could purchase a copy stand with a light box and the carrier as a kit from Sprocket as well for more $$$. Anyway, one alternative. Best, Jimmy

It does seem expensive to go the Epson scanner route when I have a good sensor in my Z9. I like the idea of using a copy stand and I do have the 105 2.8 micro lens. So far I only see film carriers that hold down strips of negatives. All my Dad's pictures are mounted slides. Has anyone seen a holder that would accommodate a mounted slide? Some slides have cardboard mounts and more recent ones have plastic mounts that I believe he referred to as slide stiffeners? I know when putting a slide of that size into the projector, as it heated up the slide would change shape slightly. It would be visible on the projected image.

It does seem expensive to go the Epson scanner route when I have a good sensor in my Z9. I like the idea of using a copy stand and I do have the 105 2.8 micro lens. So far I only see film carriers that hold down strips of negatives. All my Dad's pictures are mounted slides. Has anyone seen a holder that would accommodate a mounted slide? Some slides have cardboard mounts and more recent ones have plastic mounts that I believe he referred to as slide stiffeners? I know when putting a slide of that size into the projector, as it heated up the slide would change shape slightly. It would be visible on the projected image.
Dear Steigw,
I reached out to the Sprocket site to see if they had a carrier for mounted slides. I also found that on Etsy they are selling one for mounted 35 mm slides for just $25.00 and one for 6x6 for more $ = $129.00 on B & H site. Here are the links (very long ones!). Best, Jimmy.
Etsy link:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1312816760/dslr-scanning-table-for-35mm-slides?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_b-electronics_and_accessories-other&utm_custom1=_k_CjwKCAiA44OtBhAOEiwAj4gpOZxBEdu6QI4EgHn_qaD9LnYNWRrm9qeMGStU3XEThQMNT2A8oE7G2xoCOKwQAvD_BwE_k_&utm_content=go_12574415250_120844927138_507896636138_pla-315906365691_c__1312816760_12768591&utm_custom2=12574415250&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA44OtBhAOEiwAj4gpOZxBEdu6QI4EgHn_qaD9LnYNWRrm9qeMGStU3XEThQMNT2A8oE7G2xoCOKwQAvD_BwE

B&H link:

Thank you! A Z9 is a taller camera. I wonder if it would protrude beyond the copy stand's base so I wouldn't have a flat platform for the slide to sit on. I also wonder if I could put an arca swiss mount on the stand for easy on/off of the camera. that would extend the camera outwards even further I suspect. When taking a picture of the 6x6 slide, I'd have to capture the edges of the slide holder due to rectangle/square format. I wonder how that impacts the quality of the reproduction.

Last edited:
As for the size of the base of your copy stand, you would just need to find a piece of nice wood the same thickness as your base and cut that piece wide enough to give you a longer base by putting the piece of wood at the front edge of the copy stand. I had no issues with including the edge of the holder in the scan. After the scan I just used the crop tool in Lightroom Classic to crop the size down to just show the image. I did find that if the room light (ceiling) was on while I scanned, that could cause an issue so I did my scans in a dimly lit room so the ceiling light did not interfere. I was happy with the quality of my scans.

It seems that a quality light table / light source to illuminate the slide is important. What do you use? I'm assuming something that produces 5,000 kelvin consistently across the surface is what I'd need? Do you ever need to change the brightness or color temperature of the light stand depending upon the slide being scanned?

It depends on how many slides you have to scan. Getting it done commercially is good if you don't have a lot (check the prices at the lab). If you have a lot using a digital camera and relevant setup would be very time consuming although the results would be good. Otherwise a flatbed scanner (I use the Epson V 800) allows you to scan multiple negatives or prints at the same time. My father shot 35mm Kodachrome slides and I have scanned several hundred of those as well as my 35mm negatives from the days before digital. Still working on it after some years! The software is also important the basic Epson software is easy to use and intuitive, I used to use Vuescan before I had the Epson scanner. The scanner came with a free version of Silverfast software which I found mindbogglingly complex.

Hello again! I just heard back from SprocketandCompany about mounted 6x6 slide holders for scanning.
"
Hi Jimmy,

We do have a listing for 35mm mounted slides here: https://sprocketandco.com/products/slide-holder
We do not yet have any 6x6 mounted slide holders, but I could make one specialty for your case. Are your 6x6 mounted slides the standard size of 7cm by 7cm from edge to edge?
Also, are you looking to purchase these slide holders with a kit or individually?

Regards,

Ethan from Sprocket and Co. "

So, you could contact them if you want them to make you a 6x6 holder for scanning!

Best,

Jimmy

Back