Scops Owl - South Africa

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Rassie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Here's a Scops owl I got on a night drive on safari. They are small and hide in trees during the day. Not easy to spot.

D7100 with Nikkor 70-200mm F4.
D7100_DSC5773.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Illuminated with a spot light from the safari vehicle? Just looking at the tiny irises and the light fall off at the top of the head.

Cool image with the dark background, Nicely composed. A wall hanger for sure!

Yes, it was illuminated with a spotlight. I learned later to have the guide light up the bird with the light to allow me to lock focus, then I got him to turn off the light while I took the shot with a flash. The spotlight is too patchy, and very yellow.

Nice image of this Southern White-faced Scops-Owl, Ptilopsis granti, Witwanguil, Koos! Their eyes are actually nearly orange. The light messes a bit with the colour! I like the POV and the black BG, nicely done!

Last edited:
Thanks, Callie. Yes, I wish the safari guides could have had decent LED spotlights with a whiter colour. Seeing the owl like in this image I would not have had any idea the the eyes are actually more orange. The eyes of the Snowy Owl here in Canada are the most beautiful yellow. There were some branches and stuff in the background of this image but I did some digital pruning for a cleaner image.

Thanks, Callie. Yes, I wish the safari guides could have had decent LED spotlights with a whiter colour. Seeing the owl like in this image I would not have had any idea the the eyes are actually more orange. The eyes of the Snowy Owl here in Canada are the most beautiful yellow. There were some branches and stuff in the background of this image but I did some digital pruning for a cleaner image.
Ja Koos, but this is 3rd world - Digital is how your fingers work, don't you know? :D However, I have found that if you shoot with flash, it can negate most of the spotlight's yellow. I love snowy owls though I have never seen one. I think, from all the images I have seen, they are more user friendly than our owls!

Back