Scottish idyll , not quite?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

soundbyte

A well known member 🇦🇺 📷
Supporting Member
Marketplace
On the Scotland trip we found this small harbour Fresgoe and were very surprised to see and read all the radiation danger warnings located all around this site.
P9260036_A_002.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

P9260045_A_002a.jpg

Dounreay (thanks @JAS) a decommissioned Nuclear Power Station.
P9260038_A_003.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful shot! I believe you are close to Dounreay, an old Nuclear site being cleaned up. Some projections say it will be suitable for reuse by 2333. Yes, that is 2333.

Last edited:
Never underestimate mankind to screw up a beautiful place... :cry: Nice photo's hope you didn't stay long.. :)
It is a complex issue. Many of the things done to win WW2 and in the nuclear arms race of the 50s and 60s created massive messes that will take decades and longer to clean-up. Interestingly though over my 40+ years in the Environmental field, some of the most diverse and beautiful wildlife populations exist in the safety buffer zones around military bases, training and firing ranges. They maintain large safety zones to keep people out, thereby protecting the wildlife, allowing bird nesting, habitat preservation and protected game populations. Nuclear sites are more complex, but given the large buffer zones, also provide protected areas for wildlife. Quite a paradox - Contaminated but often valuable.

It is a complex issue. Many of the things done to win WW2 and in the nuclear arms race of the 50s and 60s created massive messes that will take decades and longer to clean-up. Interestingly though over my 40+ years in the Environmental field, some of the most diverse and beautiful wildlife populations exist in the safety buffer zones around military bases, training and firing ranges. They maintain large safety zones to keep people out, thereby protecting the wildlife, allowing bird nesting, habitat preservation and protected game populations. Nuclear sites are more complex, but given the large buffer zones, also provide protected areas for wildlife. Quite a paradox - Contaminated but often valuable.
And they glow bright colors when it gets dark... 🤣 🤣 🤣

I have lived on and visited a few military bases where they screened any game before the hunters were allowed to remove it from the site. Not sure I would eat anything that needs such screening.
Defiantly would not be eating anything coming from that area.

Back