Scottsdale AZ Opportunities

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Anjin San

Supporting Member
Marketplace
We are going to Scottsdale for a weekend in November for a symphony concert and will have a day to spend shooting before heading back. Wife wants to do Old Town so we will get some street opportunities. Sedona is 2 hours drive each way so that’s probably out as a the other half day destination. Any suggestions for wildlife, landscape, or waterfalls closer than Sedona? Waterfalls are u likely to be running from her research so landscape or critters are probably the only viable options and I figure we have either the morning or late afternoon for good light. Planning currently on just a Z8 aimed 24-120 for weight but can add lenses if there are things to see.

I will agree that Sedona is a bit crazy and crowded. However, the drive up Hwy 179, if coming from Scottsdale, is beautiful with many great places to photograph the Red Rock scenery. Also, adjacent to the Zoo and Botanical Gardens, there is Papago Park which has some nice scenery and desert plants. Granddaughters in college in Phoenix and Flagstaff though I am in Wisconsin.

Last edited:
Lost Dutchman park east of Phoenix has fantastic landscape opportunities.
Cholla at the Superstitions.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

If any of you are in Scottsdale and want to meet up, we live here full time. So if not traveling I am happy to search for opportunities. Nov - mid March are the months least likely, but still possible, to have snakes out.

Thanks all…I will research all of these to see what might be a good idea for a visit…and Hooligans has kindly offered to provide local guide services if they're not traveling.

Something different by the way is the musical instrument museum, which would align with your other purpose, but not really for photography.
That actually sounds pretty cool…I'm going to turn all of this info over to the DLETC in the household (Dining, Lodging, Entertainment and Transportation Coordinator)…otherwise known as my bride. She does all the scutwork on figuring out plans and such…I could do it but she actually likes that sort of planning so I let her run with it and stay out of her way.

Back