If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Viathelens

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Otters can be incredibly difficult to photograph. They move quickly, splash around in the water a lot, literally rolling, and are very fast. Also when wet they simply look like a large rat, not very attractive. And wet fur makes it hard to figure out what part of the body is even visible in some shots. I shot, literally, thousands of otter shots in Homer AK recently trying to get some good ones at a marina near my motel. The otters let me get fairly close, sometimes too close with the 600PF. I'm still going through them but have found some that I think will work out. I was really trying hard to get the mom and pup shots whenever I could but in many of the shots they just merge together as wet rugs! Also, processing the shots with extreme contrast can be tricky.

CCassinetto-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
CCassinetto-2216.jpg
CCassinetto-2381.jpg
CCassinetto-2432.jpg

You did well here, Connie. And now there's someone else here in the forum that understands how hard it is to get a decent otter shot :)
Incredibly difficult, something I've been after for years since the first time I tried getting an otter shot. The otters at this marina were very accommodating, thank goodness! Really difficult to get a good shot of these guys.

The challenges you had and describe are not evident in these shots! Nicely done! Beautiful and not a single shot where I mistook the subjects for wet rugs (great description, btw!).

The challenges you had and describe are not evident in these shots! Nicely done! Beautiful and not a single shot where I mistook the subjects for wet rugs (great description, btw!).
That description came to mind after viewing image after image where I couldn't tell where one otter started and the other ended.

Highly recommend shooting some video with audio if you can. Recording the sound of crabs being crunched in their mouths adds a new dimension to the usual still images of the otters.