Seeking advice for waterproof jacket/gloves in Scottish winter

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Dear all,

I'm very much looking forward to spending a few days after Xmas in the Scottish hills chasing ptarmigan and hares in the snow (it pays to buy your own Xmas presents :) ). I'm really looking forward to it, but need to upgrade my waterproof/warm gear. I'm based in Australia, and a lot of what is available locally is neon targeted towards fishing. I regularly see Youtube folk from the Northern Hemisphere sporting much heavier duty dull (ie khaki/green not necessarily camo) kit that clearly does the job in a more wildlife friendly way, so seeking recommendations from those with experience on good options for a waterproof/warm jacket and a similar pair of gloves that would still allow camera operation for wildlife photography in the snow.

Many thanks in advance,
Paul

You might want to check out a UK brand called Paramo. Good quality gear with a great warranty and repair policy. North Face and Patagonia are very good US brands that make appropriate gear. Scotland can be wet and very cold; do t underestimate what you need to stay warm for hours. Foot warmers and warm boots are essential! I like gloves from Sealskin but they’re too heavy to easily operate gear. The really heavy duty gloves with warmers (chemical or electric) are great for staying warm but they’re mostly mittens.

You might want to check out a UK brand called Paramo. Good quality gear with a great warranty and repair policy. North Face and Patagonia are very good US brands that make appropriate gear. Scotland can be wet and very cold; do t underestimate what you need to stay warm for hours. Foot warmers and warm boots are essential! I like gloves from Sealskin but they’re too heavy to easily operate gear. The really heavy duty gloves with warmers (chemical or electric) are great for staying warm but they’re mostly mittens.
Thanks JP, much appreciated, I'll check them out!

A good pair of walking boots is a must. They must be broken in too, don't go sporting brand new boots, blisters are painful. I echo the comments above, don't under estimate Scottish weather. I have seen snow in June on the high ground. Consider also the wind chill factor, your top layer should be waterproof and wind proof. I find a walking pole useful too, they are cheap enough and you could purchase locally. They are useful for crossing boggy areas to test the ground and coming down steep slopes. North face make good gear, I have one in which I can detach the inner fleece which makes it very flexible. It is also a dirty olive green colour and blends in well. I use gloves I can get on and off quickly, I just can't use my camera in gloves. You may want to consider waterproof walking trousers, I find them very useful. Denim is not good especially when they get wet.
Having warned you of the potential very bad weather it is fair to say you may have clear skies albeit very cold. It is a stunningly beautiful country. Good luck, if you get some half decent weather you will be in a highly target rich environment photographically, just be prepared and keep an eye on the weather forecasts.

Here are some ideas. I bought Vallerrett gloves for my husband and I for our trip to Iceland. AWESOME! We experienced unusually bad weather (even for Iceland!) and they were great.

We wore boots made to handle temps way below freezing. My feet are always cold and my Sorel boots with removable liners kept my feet dry and warm.

Don't forget.....

Thermal layers (NO cotton - wool or synthetics are best)
wool socks
Wool hat

Dear all,

I'm very much looking forward to spending a few days after Xmas in the Scottish hills chasing ptarmigan and hares in the snow (it pays to buy your own Xmas presents :) ). I'm really looking forward to it, but need to upgrade my waterproof/warm gear. I'm based in Australia, and a lot of what is available locally is neon targeted towards fishing. I regularly see Youtube folk from the Northern Hemisphere sporting much heavier duty dull (ie khaki/green not necessarily camo) kit that clearly does the job in a more wildlife friendly way, so seeking recommendations from those with experience on good options for a waterproof/warm jacket and a similar pair of gloves that would still allow camera operation for wildlife photography in the snow.

Many thanks in advance,
Paul
Check out Kuiu gear. I wear their stuff every season, boots to hats.

Dear all,

Many thanks in advance,
Paul
I can’t guarantee it as the warmest jacket, but this one will make you plenty of friends while you’re there!

90F53267-A9EE-49AC-AE56-263B838E6B89.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Be prepared to have every type of weather thrown at you! (And in one day :))

For clothing i wear Fjallraven

Gloves i've just brought a pair of these not used them yet but they look and feel like they will do the trick! Sealskinz

And as for boots as soon as it turns cold i wear these until the spring, so comfy and warm, ive just done a 9 mile hike across Exmoor and they were so comfy Muk Boot

Good luck with Scotland, its an amazing place i've just come back from a fortnight on the Isle Of Mull

Paramo is a great choice for UK/Scottish weather where combining waterproof with breathability is paramount. This one is popular with active nature/birdwatchers/photographers.
Paramo Halcon The advantage it has over gortex based clothing is that is stays breathable for much longer without clogging.

I would dress in layers so you can adjust the amount of insulation depending on the situation or the time of day or amount of wind, etc. and then wear one of the excellent British uninsulated hunting parka jackets with the large pockets for shotgun shells that work great for photo paraphernalia. I bought ones of the jackets made by Game Technical and from Craghoppers that were excellent.

For gloves I like the ones made for kayaking as they are relatively waterproof and leave my fingers free for the camera controls. I also like the Setwear Stealth gloves made for production sound people and work well when shooting video.

Back