Seeking Film Scanner Advice

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Whiskeyman

Supporting Member
Marketplace
About a year ago, I purchased a photo scanner, and while it served its purpose, it has its shortcomings. And the biggest one has just been revealed to me.

In settling my late parent's affairs, we came across boxes and boxes of old family photos and envelope after envelope of film negatives and slides (both Kodachrome and Ektachrome.) If the early sample of two of the boxes is consistent with all of the others, I figure I'm looking at about 450-to-750 35mm film rolls of both, along with what I believe are some rolls of 120 and possibly 220. Yikes! All of them family shots and nothing that anyone would likely want to scan and print really big, say above 8X10. But nothing that I don't want to preserve. (Some of the really old photos are hard mounted, which requires them to be scanned on a flatbed scanner.)

I'm leaning towards getting a dedicated flatbed photo/film scanner, and the Epson V850 and V600 are high on my list. In fact, they are the only two on my list right now. I've read reviews and comparisons of each, and am torn as to which to get: if the price difference (V850's $1299 vs V600's $349) weren't so big, I'd get the V850. However, the price difference is real, and I've thought myself into a conumdrum over chosing the right one between the two. Sooooooo.....

I'm asking everyone here for their input/advice if they've used either or both the V850 or V600, what their thoughts on them, good, bad, or indifferent, are.

And if you've not used either, but have used another film/photo scanner, please add to the conversation with your impressions of that model, as well.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Back