Seeking recommendations ... ready to put up an online site.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

TamiBoise

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Hi,
I'm finally ready to put together an online site to showcase and hopefully sell some of my photos. The features I'm looking for include easy set up of the store front with some ability to alter preset themes, the ability to use my own url, safety features to keep photos safe from theft, no commissions like smugmug charges, ability to integrate with printing site, ability to easily accept payments, reasonably priced for the options offered.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

There are a large number of possible options for your consideration. Two things to keep in mind. First, it is almost impossible to keep photos safe from theft. It is just the reality of life on the web. You can do things to discourage it, but you cannot stop somebody who is determined from getting a copy one way or another.

Second, you will be paying one way or another for services. You may find a commission-free site, but they will probably charge you more up front or monthly. I suggest looking at the total cost and services before ruling out a specific type of charge. If you have limited sales, a site that charges you a commission may actually be more affordable.

Since I am assuming that you do not want to host your own site, I suggest starting with the usual suspects like if only to see what they offer:
  • SmugMug
  • Zenfolio
  • Squarespace
  • Wix
  • Photoshelter
  • Pic-Time
  • CloudSpot
And many companies will provide you with a trial period with full features. I would take advantage of those offers and try to set up a small space to see how easy/hard their platform is, and how well it works for you. It may take a lot of trial and error, but better up front than later on. And try to buy your domain from a registrar so you are not locked in to a service.

Good luck,

--Ken

There are a large number of possible options for your consideration. Two things to keep in mind. First, it is almost impossible to keep photos safe from theft. It is just the reality of life on the web. You can do things to discourage it, but you cannot stop somebody who is determined from getting a copy one way or another.

Second, you will be paying one way or another for services. You may find a commission-free site, but they will probably charge you more up front or monthly. I suggest looking at the total cost and services before ruling out a specific type of charge. If you have limited sales, a site that charges you a commission may actually be more affordable.

Since I am assuming that you do not want to host your own site, I suggest starting with the usual suspects like if only to see what they offer:
  • SmugMug
  • Zenfolio
  • Squarespace
  • Wix
  • Photoshelter
  • Pic-Time
  • CloudSpot
And many companies will provide you with a trial period with full features. I would take advantage of those offers and try to set up a small space to see how easy/hard their platform is, and how well it works for you. It may take a lot of trial and error, but better up front than later on. And try to buy your domain from a registrar so you are not locked in to a service.

Good luck,

--Ken
Thanks Ken,
I already have my domain name. A friend is a network manager and took care of that for me.
I looked at SmugMug but they were as expensive as others PLUS the commission.
I have looked at a couple of the others that you mentioned but not Photoshelter, Pic-time, or Cloudspot so will be checking those out.
Three that I'm considering are Photodeck, Shootproof, and Redframe. Of those I think I like Photodeck the best. Not sure if anyone has used any of those that would care to comment.

Tami

Thanks Ken,
I already have my domain name. A friend is a network manager and took care of that for me.
I looked at SmugMug but they were as expensive as others PLUS the commission.
I have looked at a couple of the others that you mentioned but not Photoshelter, Pic-time, or Cloudspot so will be checking those out.
Three that I'm considering are Photodeck, Shootproof, and Redframe. Of those I think I like Photodeck the best. Not sure if anyone has used any of those that would care to comment.

Tami
Great to hear you have your domain name. One question I didn't ask is who is your target audience? Is this a site for clients to review and proof, or are you just trying to sell some of your nicer images? The two are very different audiences and the optimal solution for each may be different.

One lab that I use, White House Custom Color, has a page listing a number of their partners: https://www.whcc.com/ordering/integrated-partners/ . You could see if any of these meet your needs. But again, clients have different needs than cold call sales, and your choices should be dictated by who you see as your audience. And, the lab(s) you (or your platform) partner with are also important.

When folks are learning how to use LR Classic, I often recommend setting up a test catalog with dummy images so they can see if their proposed workflow makes sense in reality. Again, I would recommend you do the same with setting up a sales platform. Yes, since you own your domain name you can move to a new platform fairly quickly if you find a better host, but it is still a major pain in the backside. A test run with a few friends or family members on a trial plan should help you find any pinch points right away before you commit to any plan.

Good luck,

--Ken

Great to hear you have your domain name. One question I didn't ask is who is your target audience? Is this a site for clients to review and proof, or are you just trying to sell some of your nicer images? The two are very different audiences and the optimal solution for each may be different.

One lab that I use, White House Custom Color, has a page listing a number of their partners: https://www.whcc.com/ordering/integrated-partners/ . You could see if any of these meet your needs. But again, clients have different needs than cold call sales, and your choices should be dictated by who you see as your audience. And, the lab(s) you (or your platform) partner with are also important.

When folks are learning how to use LR Classic, I often recommend setting up a test catalog with dummy images so they can see if their proposed workflow makes sense in reality. Again, I would recommend you do the same with setting up a sales platform. Yes, since you own your domain name you can move to a new platform fairly quickly if you find a better host, but it is still a major pain in the backside. A test run with a few friends or family members on a trial plan should help you find any pinch points right away before you commit to any plan.

Good luck,

--Ken
I am a flora and fauna photographer mostly wildlife. Have had friends and family ask if I sell my photos. So would like a site they can go to and browse, thus taking out any uncomfortable face to face negotiations. Also, to add a link to posts I make on social media so friends and followers can browse my catalogue. Very low key, don't expect a lot of sales but want to make it easy for those few who are interested now and possibly build a few sales. Not looking to book shoots as portraiture nor event photography are not my thing. Even so I've done a couple for people who ask so also would like to have an easy place for them to be able to order photos, once again without the uncomfortableness of face to face negotiations.

Good luck,

--Ken
Also.. thanks for the link to White House Custom Color. LOTS of great info there!

The two big names for websites are Wix and Squarespace. They have their act together, will let you easily do a site that looks completely custom by altering their templates. Plus they auto load your site for proper viewing based on device (eg it will work equally well viewed on computer or tablet or phone). You can set up sales. I did this using Squarespace and you can look at my website in my signature below to see how it works.

Thanks Fred. I will check them out. You have a beautiful site. I noticed your pictures can be ordered in very large sizes. Do you ever have problems with the resolution?

The two big names for websites are Wix and Squarespace. They have their act together, will let you easily do a site that looks completely custom by altering their templates. Plus they auto load your site for proper viewing based on device (eg it will work equally well viewed on computer or tablet or phone). You can set up sales. I did this using Squarespace and you can look at my website in my signature below to see how it works.
Thanks Fred. I will check them out. You have a beautiful site. I noticed your pictures can be ordered in very large sizes. Do you ever have problems with the resolution?

There are some cropped wildlife images that I do not offer in the two largest sizes. But for landscape and architecture shot on full frame, it is no problem.

I am a flora and fauna photographer mostly wildlife. Have had friends and family ask if I sell my photos. So would like a site they can go to and browse, thus taking out any uncomfortable face to face negotiations. Also, to add a link to posts I make on social media so friends and followers can browse my catalogue. Very low key, don't expect a lot of sales but want to make it easy for those few who are interested now and possibly build a few sales. Not looking to book shoots as portraiture nor event photography are not my thing. Even so I've done a couple for people who ask so also would like to have an easy place for them to be able to order photos, once again without the uncomfortableness of face to face negotiations.
I can appreciate wanting to make things easy for folks and to take away the awkwardness of having to negotiate, but I personally would not spend too much on a site as I have found that most people tend to not actually purchase prints, even if they were selling at or near cost. I am hoping you have better success, and I hope others who sell can chime in about their experiences, but setting up these sites often costs far more than they bring in. I am sure that is not what you want to hear, but I also would hate to see you spend a lot on subscriptions and services with the intent that they would pay for your annual costs if that does not turn out to be the case.

--Ken

I can appreciate wanting to make things easy for folks and to take away the awkwardness of having to negotiate, but I personally would not spend too much on a site as I have found that most people tend to not actually purchase prints, even if they were selling at or near cost. I am hoping you have better success, and I hope others who sell can chime in about their experiences, but setting up these sites often costs far more than they bring in. I am sure that is not what you want to hear, but I also would hate to see you spend a lot on subscriptions and services with the intent that they would pay for your annual costs if that does not turn out to be the case.

--Ken
I appreciate that. Might just give it a shot for one year and see what happens.

You could look at Fine Art America whic has an option for you to create your 'own' website which can be customised to some degree. It is cheap and esy to use with a wide range of products available to buy. Their prints are good quality in my experience.

MrFotoFool you have a very nicely designed site!

I personally have a SmugMug site which is fine for what I expect from it, works well, but one is limited on tweaking the layout. Ran Pro one year and then dropped down to Portfolio level. Sell a few but my love is the shooting.

That said I have a great appreciation and respect for well design sites. Makes a difference.

Square space is a great place to start, the platform such as Word Press is universal simple customizable and well liked by Google.

Placement in the market is key if to obtain sales is your intention.

Having and keeping the site ethical, in text, practice and images is critical, surprisingly it is a measure by Google not talked about.

You have 2.5 seconds to grab someones attention from surfing, then to hold them you have for women approximately 4.5 seconds before the leave, men approximately 9 seconds, hence women are smarter than men they say LOL.

If you want likes then that's completely different, Tik Tok Instagram Meta and all that stuff will get you site full of likes, knowing which ones are real or not is the hard part.

Only an opinion

Back