Self Timer on Z8, does it refocus during each shot

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I am reading Steve PErry's Z8 update ebook. (great book...thanks!) I'm on the section for using the Self Timer for some wildlife situations.

If you're taking, for example, 3 shots, does the camera refocus during each shot?

If you are just using the Timer to automatically run through the number of shots you have chosen in Bracketing, you focus before starting the bracketing sequence.

Thanks for your answers. I'm not questioning the Interval Timer or Bracketing though. My question is about the Self Timer. I found this in the manual which is online this morning, but it doesn't say whether or not it refocuses in between each image. Does anyone know?
Self Timer Z8.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Custom Setting C2 Self Timer Z8.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I am reading Steve PErry's Z8 update ebook. (great book...thanks!) I'm on the section for using the Self Timer for some wildlife situations.

If you're taking, for example, 3 shots, does the camera refocus during each shot?

I don't know the answer, but just to clarify, you would like to wait say 10 seconds then automatically take for example 10 shots but if the subject was moving it would adjust the focus each time?

I'm wondering if you can combine self timer set to 1 shot with interval timer set to 'now' or does one exclude the other? Or I see the interval times gives you 3 seconds if set to now, or you can program a start time.

Last edited:
Nope, it doesn't focus between shots. The idea with the slow shutter speed self timer technique described in the book is that you have the camera shoot a few extra frames to overcome any incidental movement by the subject (increasing your odds). However, once your focus, it's fixed at that distance.

Nope, it doesn't focus between shots. The idea with the slow shutter speed self timer technique described in the book is that you have the camera shoot a few extra frames to overcome any incidental movement by the subject (increasing your odds). However, once your focus, it's fixed at that distance.

Can it be combined with interval timer?

Can it be combined with interval timer?
I don't think the interval timer is a practical way to do that technique. Most of the time, when you can pull it off, you focus, press the shutter release, and hope the critter doesn't move in the five seconds before the series :)

Once you get that first set, then it's time to refocus and try again. In between though, the animal often moves, turns it's head, etc, so you have to hold off until just the right moment to activate the timer. It's a "Hail Mary" kind of technique to be sure, but it can work if the stars line up :)

I don't think the interval timer is a practical way to do that technique. Most of the time, when you can pull it off, you focus, press the shutter release, and hope the critter doesn't move in the five seconds before the series :)

Once you get that first set, then it's time to refocus and try again. In between though, the animal often moves, turns it's head, etc, so you have to hold off until just the right moment to activate the timer. It's a "Hail Mary" kind of technique to be sure, but it can work if the stars line up :)

Just for curiosity in a hypothetical, if someone were taking a group photo of people standing still at a picnic using a tripod, could they acquire focus on an eye then set the interval timer set to now to take 10 shots 1 second apart refocusing every time, but also set the self timer for one photo to give the photographer time to get in position before the interval kicks in? So the self timer then activates the interval timer?

Of course one could set the interval timer for 20 shots and just throw away the first 10.

Back