Sensor fogged?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I went out to photograph some kids tubing on the lake. I took the camera from my house at 77F and went outside where it as 87F. The first photos were completely fogged over. I looked at the front of the lens and it was clear. So, I presumed that the sensor actually got fogged up. After about 20 minutes, it was clear. I know the lenses get fogged up, but do sensors also? I admit that I did not take the lens off in the rocking boat to check the sensor. Is this common? I don't know what the humidity was that day, but it was high for Maine.

I suppose it's possible, but I've never actually seen it happen to a sensor. Still, the sensor has a glass filter on top for protection, it may have fogged, especially if the lens / body aren't weather sealed. Sounds like no harm done at least :)

It was Z6 with 24-70 S lens so pretty weather sealed. Just know that it can happen.

I do like this new forum. You may regret all the questions you get.

I'm hoping I'll get some help from other members with the questions :)

The thing is, I get TONS of questions in e-mails and comments all day long. I figured if I could redirect them here, the answers hopefully help more than just the person asking - especially since I get a lot of the same questions over and over :)

Re: the fogging, could have been an inner lens element you didn't see. Fog on the sensor is relatively rare as long as you don't remove the lens under those conditions. Dew point is actually the better measure than humidity. If the dew point was above 77 then you could get condensation at temps above that. Not sure about areas near the coast but a 77 degree dew point is unusually high for New England.

Back