Settings to use?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

jeffnles1

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I didn't want to hijack Steve's post about settings used on particular images so I'll start a new one.
The question that gets posed to me, both on my Facebook Group and while I'm out at local parks and hiking areas is "what settings do you use?" [edited to add] This isn't about a specific image but more a general "how to" type question that I get asked fairly frequently. [ end edit]

Rather than giving them the standard answer of "xYZ" I will ask them about their experience level, how long they have had the equipment, what are they after. On Facebook or Instagram, I do this via private message as I wouldn't want to embarrass someone.

Usually, the person asking is a beginner or a person fairly recently into photography or getting back into it after a long hiatus.

My standard answer and advice usually is something like this: "photography is a lot more than the gear or settings. First and foremost, you need to get comfortable thinking in terms of composition, balance and basics like making sure the horizon line is level unless the skewed look is the effect being sought. The best way I know of to accomplish this is to set the camera on "P" or "Auto" and go out to capture images. After a while, you will become comfortable with the images you capture and you will start looking at a scene in terms of composition not just "taking a photo." Once this becomes second nature, then start messing with camera settings. I'd suggest "Aperture Priority" first and then going to manual. Manual gives more creative control over the nuance of lighting/exposure, depth of field, motion etc.; however, many outstanding images have been captured over the years in "P" mode so don't ignore it."

I will usually suggest Autofocus modes a little depending on what they want to capture.

Some of my photo friends have skewered me for giving this advice. However, I think a new photographer is more likely to stick with it and become interested in the more creative side if they capture reasonably well exposed images right out of the box and really pay critical attention to the composition and balance of the photo.

Your thoughts?

Jeff

Last edited:
I always tell people "it depends". Might be a bit harsh, but the reality is I can't tell them anything more useful without knowing what gear they use, what effect they're going for (eg panning vs completely frozen subject), etc etc.

I then tell them to experiment, because that's how they'll learn the quickest.

If someone asks how I captured an image or what settings I use I tell them and tell them why and leave it at that.
This question isn't really about a specific image, it's more about general using the equipment. I don't like the "read the manual" answer so I try to guide them in a general direction that will at least help them get some decent results. I figure we were all beginners at one point. I had no other photographers around back in 1978 when I started and had to fumble through a lot of mistakes and waste a lot o money on Kodachrome before I started getting it right.

Interesting discussion.

I didn't want to hijack Steve's post about settings used on particular images so I'll start a new one.
The question that gets posed to me, both on my Facebook Group and while I'm out at local parks and hiking areas is "what settings do you use?" [edited to add] This isn't about a specific image but more a general "how to" type question that I get asked fairly frequently. [ end edit]

Rather than giving them the standard answer of "xYZ" I will ask them about their experience level, how long they have had the equipment, what are they after. On Facebook or Instagram, I do this via private message as I wouldn't want to embarrass someone.

Usually, the person asking is a beginner or a person fairly recently into photography or getting back into it after a long hiatus.

My standard answer and advice usually is something like this: "photography is a lot more than the gear or settings. First and foremost, you need to get comfortable thinking in terms of composition, balance and basics like making sure the horizon line is level unless the skewed look is the effect being sought. The best way I know of to accomplish this is to set the camera on "P" or "Auto" and go out to capture images. After a while, you will become comfortable with the images you capture and you will start looking at a scene in terms of composition not just "taking a photo." Once this becomes second nature, then start messing with camera settings. I'd suggest "Aperture Priority" first and then going to manual. Manual gives more creative control over the nuance of lighting/exposure, depth of field, motion etc.; however, many outstanding images have been captured over the years in "P" mode so don't ignore it."

I will usually suggest Autofocus modes a little depending on what they want to capture.

Some of my photo friends have skewered me for giving this advice. However, I think a new photographer is more likely to stick with it and become interested in the more creative side if they capture reasonably well exposed images right out of the box and really pay critical attention to the composition and balance of the photo.

Your thoughts?

Jeff
Excellent advice! I think there are a number of us that are still somewhat confused by all the technical wizardry contained in our marvelous cameras. Digital makes us Dinosaurs dance and sing! Starting simple is never a mistake! So, if someone never advances beyond "P" or 'Auto" What of it? They still are enjoying this magical pastime of photography! AND...without a cell phone!🤡 In the Stone Ages, it was "Whatcha Shootin?" "Tri-X at 400." Or, if they were flush enough to own a light meter, and were telling the truth...😯"f/8 at a 200th." The rest of us used the little printed slips of paper with exposure suggestions that were in every film box!🙂

Tri-X at 400." Or, if they were flush enough to own a light meter, and were telling the truth...😯"f/8 at a 200th." The rest of us used the little printed slips of paper with exposure suggestions that were in every film box!🙂
Hey, I resemble that remark... Fact is, I still use variations of "Sunny 16" especially when photographing the full moon (it is always sunny there). I will adjust plus / minus a stop (anyone remember exposure bracketing?). Thanks for your response. I also think keeping it simple for beginners will enhance their enjoyment.

usually you get get a feel for where the person is at by the question itself. in general, i tend to give them an answer that is helpful in that context.

for example, when asked when the context is action photography, i'll give them something like

"for action shots like this, i like to keep my shutter a minimum of 1/1250s, but i prefer to be at 1/1600 or 1/2000s if i have enough light. typically i shoot wide open with iso as high as it needs to be to have the subject well exposed"

also, when asked for CC, i try to give them a few things targeted at their level. no sense getting carried away, just give them a few things to help them move forward.
CC is a tough one. Sometimes it is hard to discern if the person really wants critique or if they really want for you to tell them how great it is.

I find offering advice for beginners to be fairly easy. Critique I try to shy away from unless I know the person well. Even then, I try to offer encouragement with any critique. It is a subtle difference but offering suggestions to make something better is different than telling them how bad something is.

Jeff

I enjoy talking about photography with strangers. You pretty quickly can judge their level of knowledge and find some little tidbit that might be useful to them. Mostly I'll go for the context of observation. Pointing out some variation based on what the light is doing and what direction it is, and what color the subject is and whether it is moving and how the light is hitting it. Seems like EC and blinkies are always a go-to.

Back